Very serious data loss bug in Leopard!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rpp3po, Nov 5, 2007.

1. rpp3po macrumors regular

Check this out! Found here. Leopard apparently doesn't verify wether a file has been moved completely before deleting the source. From a programming point of view that's a fundamental mistake, which should never happen.

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Scary stuff, those are the things that make me glad I don't have Leopard installed yet.

3. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

i've done exactly what he has done but between two macs and i didn't have this issue

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Wow....surprised that basic file operations stuff is having a problem in a 5th generation of any OS.

-Kevin

5. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

It might be that exceptions aren't passed correctly from Leopard's SMB code to the Finder's exception handling mechanism. It might also be that the AFP implementation is reporting everything correctly in contrast.

6. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

exactly!

7. connorlovsapple macrumors newbie

I'm using leopard and haven had a single problem, no missing files or anything

Connor
    :apple:Ibook G4:apple:
    :apple:Powerbook G4:apple:
    :apple:Macbook pro:apple:
    :apple:Ipod mini:apple:
    :apple:Ipod touch:apple:

8. rpp3po thread starter macrumors regular

LOL! I think the thread can be closed now. All following posts are likely to be repetitive patterns of the first 7 posts. Every party has spoken.

9. biggarthomas macrumors newbie

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

This is scary stuff I hope the 10.5.1 update addresses this issue. I think for the most part people will be ok, but if you loss power or finder relaunches people could start getting into trouble. Better fire up those time machine drives.

11. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Yeah, scary. Doesn't seem to have affected many people (yet) though.

12. calvy macrumors 65816

They are saying Tiger did the same thing.

I think this is BS. Just someone pissed they lost some files because they did a move instead of a copy. I've done the same thing on a windows machine before. Lost files because I broke the samba transfer. I got over it.

Agreed, it shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does. And it bit this guy.

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

At the top of the page it says it applies other Mac OS X revisions as well. You can't blame leopard.

14. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

Well I actually got my whole Home folder deleted a couple of days ago. I didn't do any renaming whatsoever, I just restarted and bam, new home folder with the other deleted.

I don't know whether it's related to this though...

15. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I glanced over that. Oh well, dunno what to say, sounds pretty bad.

Found this one too, which is actually a whole lot worse as it might affect more people:

Link

If you do a double save in a Core Data app, the file will have 0k.

16. Persifleur macrumors member

I always copy files across volumes and manually verify the file count and size matches before deleting the source files. I'm very paranoid with my files.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Moving files across a network is potentially a dangerous thing to do - as far as the sending machine is concerned, the copy has completed when it is told by the receiving machine it has completed. If the receiving machine crashes before the data has been written out from cache (which is what is being simulated), you can get this issue. I'm not sure any OS would handle this any better and I would suspect Tiger will behave in exactly the same manner.
    The real fault with this lies with the receiving machine: It shouldn't report success until the data has been written out to hard disk, but in the interests of performance many SMB implementations don't do this. Of course, the perception is the fault lies with the sending machine but IMO this is incorrect. Power or other failures always have the potential to cause data loss when hard disks are cached: It's a price paid for acceptable performance and for this reason I never move files but copy / verify / delete (later)

18. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

10.5.1 doesn't fix move bug?

I did a search, but couldn't verify whether or not this has been reported here. Anyways, it seems that 10.5.1 does not fix the move bug.

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its not really a Mac OS X bug, its more a SMB problem. This has been around for ages! And who moves files....ALWAYS copy them even within your own system! This is a problem that would require the SMB protocol to be changed to fix this...its not something apple can do.

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

It's hard to know what that blogger did - he says he dragged from one external drive to another, trying to copy data. There's no reason that would cause the source to be deleted. So if it is indeed a bug, it's not the same issue. However, the links he puts at the end of his post are related to the move bug, which by all other accounts is fixed in 10.5.1.

The move bug wasn't just SMB related - it was shown to happen with all kinds of attached storage including USB thumb drives and firewire drives.