Very serious data loss bug in Leopard!

rpp3po

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Germany
Check this out! Found here. Leopard apparently doesn't verify wether a file has been moved completely before deleting the source. From a programming point of view that's a fundamental mistake, which should never happen.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Wow....surprised that basic file operations stuff is having a problem in a 5th generation of any OS.

-Kevin

rpp3po

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Germany
i've done exactly what he has done but between two macs and i didn't have this issue
It might be that exceptions aren't passed correctly from Leopard's SMB code to the Finder's exception handling mechanism. It might also be that the AFP implementation is reporting everything correctly in contrast.

connorlovsapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
I'm using leopard and haven had a single problem, no missing files or anything

Connor
:apple:Ibook G4:apple:
:apple:Powerbook G4:apple:
:apple:Macbook pro:apple:
:apple:Ipod mini:apple:
:apple:Ipod touch:apple:

rpp3po

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Germany
I'm using leopard and haven had a single problem, no missing files or anything

Connor
:apple:Ibook G4:apple:
:apple:Powerbook G4:apple:
:apple:Macbook pro:apple:
:apple:Ipod mini:apple:
:apple:Ipod touch:apple:
LOL! I think the thread can be closed now. All following posts are likely to be repetitive patterns of the first 7 posts. Every party has spoken.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is scary stuff I hope the 10.5.1 update addresses this issue. I think for the most part people will be ok, but if you loss power or finder relaunches people could start getting into trouble. Better fire up those time machine drives.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
They are saying Tiger did the same thing.

I think this is BS. Just someone pissed they lost some files because they did a move instead of a copy. I've done the same thing on a windows machine before. Lost files because I broke the samba transfer. I got over it.

Agreed, it shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does. And it bit this guy.

DizzyRose

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Barrowford, UK
Well I actually got my whole Home folder deleted a couple of days ago. I didn't do any renaming whatsoever, I just restarted and bam, new home folder with the other deleted.

I don't know whether it's related to this though...

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
At the top of the page it says it applies other Mac OS X revisions as well. You can't blame leopard.
I glanced over that. Oh well, dunno what to say, sounds pretty bad.

Found this one too, which is actually a whole lot worse as it might affect more people:

Link

If you do a double save in a Core Data app, the file will have 0k.

Persifleur

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2005
London, UK
I always copy files across volumes and manually verify the file count and size matches before deleting the source files. I'm very paranoid with my files.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Moving files across a network is potentially a dangerous thing to do - as far as the sending machine is concerned, the copy has completed when it is told by the receiving machine it has completed. If the receiving machine crashes before the data has been written out from cache (which is what is being simulated), you can get this issue. I'm not sure any OS would handle this any better and I would suspect Tiger will behave in exactly the same manner.
The real fault with this lies with the receiving machine: It shouldn't report success until the data has been written out to hard disk, but in the interests of performance many SMB implementations don't do this. Of course, the perception is the fault lies with the sending machine but IMO this is incorrect. Power or other failures always have the potential to cause data loss when hard disks are cached: It's a price paid for acceptable performance and for this reason I never move files but copy / verify / delete (later)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I did a search, but couldn't verify whether or not this has been reported here. Anyways, it seems that 10.5.1 does not fix the move bug.
Its not really a Mac OS X bug, its more a SMB problem. This has been around for ages! And who moves files....ALWAYS copy them even within your own system! This is a problem that would require the SMB protocol to be changed to fix this...its not something apple can do.

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
It's hard to know what that blogger did - he says he dragged from one external drive to another, trying to copy data. There's no reason that would cause the source to be deleted. So if it is indeed a bug, it's not the same issue. However, the links he puts at the end of his post are related to the move bug, which by all other accounts is fixed in 10.5.1.

The move bug wasn't just SMB related - it was shown to happen with all kinds of attached storage including USB thumb drives and firewire drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.