Very serious kernel panic - iMac Intel 24"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fred02840, Aug 11, 2009.

1. fred02840 macrumors newbie

I'm French and I beg your pardon for my very basic english (I hope you could understand me). And before all, I want to thank you a lot for your suggestions and advices.

Since the end of June, I've a big problem with the iMac of my childrens (an Intel iMac 24", Leopard, dec. 2007). They uploaded an update of a game (World of Warcraft : yes, I know…) when the problem is come : a grey transparency screen with a recommandation (start the computer). Since this warning, using the iMac is impossible.

However, I think have to do all my possible to find a solution.
    - reboot with all touches combinations (PRAM reinitialization and others sorts) ;
    - exchange the RAM (for two new Kingston bars) ;
    - reboot as simple user (I hoped launch the fsck command to test the hardware) ;
    - hard disk disassembling, placed in a external box (connected on my PowerBook G4) : complete erasure, new partitioning ;
    I tried to install a new and clean OS (without the original DVD : impossible to find them...) with a dmg picture of Leopard.

Yesterday, I tried to install Ubuntu on the hard disk (if Ubuntu is able to work, Mac OS can do it) : impossible to exceed the second page…

All those tests have fail, one after other : kernel panics or freezing computer (after a few seconds or minutes).
    I'm very disapointed.

I supposed the internal program is guilty. But how replace it without an OS ?
    I've also read differents problems as mine with the keyboard and the mouse (able to cause a kernel panic). I've had some trouble with them. But what solution : how replace their internal program ?

I've upload all those internal program in my PowerBook : now, what is to do ?
    It's the first big problem I have with a Mac since 20 years as user.

Best regards,

Fred

2. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

It sounds like it maybe a logic board issue and you may be better to take it to a apple service center to have them check it out fully.

3. fred02840 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Robert. Do you think the logic board must be changed ?
    If this is a logic board problem, why the OS can be sometimes launched ?

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Please post the latest entry of the file panic.log (located at ~/library/logs/panic.log). Also, disconnect everything except your keyboard and mouse. Does the issue still occur? It does sound like you've eliminated almost every other possibility, but faulty USB devices have been known to panic machines.

On the discs which came with the iMac, there is a Hardware Test. Run that and note the results.

edit: Hang on. Can you clarify what happened with the hard-drive? It sounds like you cannot install anything on it when it's connected to another machine. This could indicate the hard-drive is at fault.

AppleMatt

5. robert05au macrumors regular

robert05au

It is possible that it may need replacing if some other part of the imac has caused it to be come damaged.

I agree with the above post.

Also I would also like to know more about what happened to the Hard disk.

I have had a hard drive cause issues with a logic board on my old PPC imac which had to be replaced as a result

6. fred02840 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for this answer

I unfortunately learn I can have this log after erase this hard drive : I don't give this information.

Yes, I did : no printer and so one…

As I read it on any forums. So I tried to launch the iMac with another keyboard and mouse : no effect…

I've all the discs of my others Macs, but I unfortunately don't find those of this iMac. I'm cursed…

You are right. I can't install Mac OS X when the hard drive is connected to my PowerBook (as related here) ; without the original discs, the installation isn't possible on the iMac.

Fred

7. fred02840 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well. I'll go this afternoon to an Apple Center…
    I'll give you the informations I'll obtain.

Thank you for all !