Very simple DVD burning

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cleo, Jun 17, 2008.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I have a Quicktime movie. (Actually a YouTube video downloaded & converted to .m4v using TubiTunes. But I have the same question for short videos made with my iSight in Quicktime.)

I want said movie burned to a DVD in the most clutter-free way possible. I want the video to automatically play when inserted in any standard DVD player. No themes, no menus, no fluff, just the video.

What's the best software to use for this, and how do I do it?

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

I think you'll want the "1 step DVD" mode of iDVD for that. Don't expect it to look great though from youtube. If you have problems, convert the video to the DV NTSC 48KHz codec ( or PAL, whatever is appropriate for your region ) first and then drag it into iDVD 1-step.

Same goes for your iSight videos.

Good luck!

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

1-step doesn't seem to be the way, unless I've missed an intermediate step. As soon as I click the "1-step DVD" button, I get the following alert; dismissing it takes me right back to the menu.

[​IMG]

FWIW, I did discover than if you create a new project then switch to the "DVD Map" view, the very first box reads "Drop content here to automatically play when disc is inserted." Yay! But then I realized that there's no obvious way to get rid of the rest of the "map" - that is, this appears to be for, say, creating a "This DVD brought to you by..." screen before the menu appears, not the simple video-on-a-disc I'm looking for. (See image.)

[​IMG]

So I'm still stuck.

(PS - about quality: yeah, I expect it to suck. But this particular video is Obama's Father's Day speech - a friend wants to pass it around to some friends and family - so video quality isn't too terribly important. Thanks for the formatting, tip, nonetheless!)

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Cool. I think I may have a solution for you. I haven't done this in a long time, so I hope I'm giving you the right advice! :)

I'm not near my mac right now but I'll try to do this from memory. Open up iDVD and click on "create a new project". Then on the "File" drop down there should be a "One Step from file" menu item. Pick the file you want to burn, and you should be good. There should be no menus if you do ti that way. I apologize if I'm wrong about that though!

5. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Brilliant! It immediately asks for a DVD, which I don't have on hand atm, but this seems to be just the thing. Thank you so much!

(You know, I'm no hater, but this seems like the kind of simple task that should be dead obvious to do. Apple could to stand to integrate it a bit better, IMHO... perhaps when you click OneStep, it could ask you what source you want to use. Off to send some feedback...)

6. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I know you are looking for a software solution but I thought I'd mention this anyway.

A while back I had some format compatibility issues. My dvd player at the time had one foot in the grave the other was on a banana peel so I decided to buy a new player.

I found a model supported just about every media format and file type out there. It made things a lot easier and saved a lot of my time.