Very simple Snow Leopard questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevearm, Jul 23, 2011.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I'd like to go back to using Snow Leopard but unfortunately I've lost my copy, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are there two versions of Snow Leopard, ie. Full install and Upgrade? If I wipe my MBP hard drive to re-install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard, I'll obviously need the full version of SL rather than the one that updates from Leopard, if such a thing even exists?

2. Can I use a friend's copy of SL on a freshly wiped MBP? Since I purchased a copy there's no real harm in doing that but will it let me install?

Thanks in advance :)

2. simsaladimbamba

1. The 29 USD Upgrade DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is a fully working RETAIL version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior version of Mac OS X installed on the target HDD.
    2. see above

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
    Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great thanks very much, but assuming there's also a non-upgrade version, why would anyone bother with it if the upgrade version can also be installed on a blank HDD?

Also I don't have the Leopard disk that came with my MBP, so I assume that's still ok? I would have to use the short version link? As long version requires original OS install CD.

4. simsaladimbamba

There was no Upgrade version, at least not for 29 USD. Maybe the DVD one could get, when one purchased a Mac a month before the release of SL, for 10 USD, is an upgrade only DVD, as was done with Leopard.

5. Gramp macrumors newbie

Aside from those special deals when buying a new Mac just as the OS is going through a major change,
    I think you have to keep in mind that Apple normally offers the following at the regular retail level:

- an UPDATE DVD, that brings an earlier OS release up to the latest level (e.g. 10.5.x Leopard up to 10.6.x Snow Leopard)

- an UPGRADE DVD, that brings a superseded OS release up to the latest level (e.g. 10.4.x Tiger up to 10.5.x Leopard)

- a so-called box set that not only contains the OS but also apps. like iTunes

- multiple licence versions of some or all of the above for families and businesses

These are distinct from so-called install DVDs that come with a new Mac.
    However, what caused confusion was that, when announced, the $29 SL DVD was not clearly labelled as either an Update or an Upgrade.
    The packaging does not say, and the disk itself says it is an Install DVD.

In theory it was an update from 10.5.x, but in practice it is an upgrade from 10.4.x

And in theory it a single licence version, but in practice licensing compliance is on the honour system.

So, when downgrading your OS, you just need to keep those things in mind.
    For a fresh install, you may need your original install disks to reload iTunes and other things.

6. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow that's very helpful thanks for the info!

I'm a little concerned now because I don't have any install disks any more (moved house twice and must have misplaced them), are you saying that I can't buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard in the shops, and use it for a fresh, brand new install on my MBP?

7. simsaladimbamba

The 29 USD Upgrade DVD will not include iLife, but for your purposes it will work, unless you need iLife.

8. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLife I have on disk, it's more the general OS X apps like iTunes, Photobooth, etc that I was wondering about.