Very slow 2010 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johannnn, Jun 5, 2012.

1. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

A friend has a 13" MBP that for some reason is really slow. I myself have a iMac G4 and I see fever beach balls than she does.
    It's running lion which I know is little slow but shouldn't be this slow. She has a boot camp partition but she has enough free space that it shouldn't be a problem. There are some background apps always running, but the weird thing is that it is slow even when I boot into a new user. Does that mean that it's a hardware issue? At least I don't hear any clicks from the drive indicating that it's gonna die. Is there any easy way to measure the quality of the drive? And can reset of SMC etc cause a speed up in case of problems?

Oh and if I reinstall OS X and use the erease drive option, is the whole drive ereased or only the OS X partition? It would be sweet if I didn't have to reinstall windows as well

Thanks, any tip is appreciated

2. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

Probably an OS X issue.

I'd do an erase and install.

And yes, you can erase the Mac OS part of the drive without erasing the Windows part of the drive. Just make sure to erase the partition for the Mac OS and not the entire hard drive.

As for checking the hard drive, you can install and run something like Onyx.
    It's free and can check your HDD as well as do many other optimizations and clean ups of the Mac which might result in a speedier Mac...