Very slow airport extreme

Airportextreme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I used to have a Belkin G router that I replaced about 2 months ago and got the Airport extreme - I was hoping for improved speeds but sadly, the speed got much much worse and I was wondering if anyone here could help.

When I run a speedtest using Ookla's speedtest, I get 100 Mbps when I'm connected directly to the modem and only 5Mbps wen connected wirelessly through Apple's Airport Extreme. I used to get 16-20 Mbps with my old Belkin G router so this is quite disappointing.
I've also had to restart the router a couple of times in between because it was too slow and would not even load any webpages. The router is connected to my PS3 using a wired connection so that I can watch Netflix and even that is quite bad. When connected to the PS3 using a WIRED connection, I get about 2 Mbps! The video pauses in between quite often so that it can load and the resolution often drops making the images not quite as sharp.

I have a windows PC, a PS3 and my mobile phone connected to the wireless network. I sit about 6 feet away from the router and there is direct line of sight. I tried changing channels - It was originally on 11. It wouldn't connect at all on 6 and right now, I am using channel 1

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I'm past the 14 day return window so it's too late to return the product now.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is odd that it is slow like that over wired as well as wireless. Try following this to do a "hard reset" then reconfigure and see if that helps. If it is still slow like that, I would say you got a defective router.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I used to have a Belkin G router that I replaced about 2 months ago and got the Airport extreme - I was hoping for improved speeds but sadly, the speed got much much worse and I was wondering if anyone here could help.

When I run a speedtest using Ookla's speedtest, I get 100 Mbps when I'm connected directly to the modem and only 5Mbps wen connected wirelessly through Apple's Airport Extreme. I used to get 16-20 Mbps with my old Belkin G router so this is quite disappointing.
I've also had to restart the router a couple of times in between because it was too slow and would not even load any webpages. The router is connected to my PS3 using a wired connection so that I can watch Netflix and even that is quite bad. When connected to the PS3 using a WIRED connection, I get about 2 Mbps! The video pauses in between quite often so that it can load and the resolution often drops making the images not quite as sharp.

I have a windows PC, a PS3 and my mobile phone connected to the wireless network. I sit about 6 feet away from the router and there is direct line of sight. I tried changing channels - It was originally on 11. It wouldn't connect at all on 6 and right now, I am using channel 1

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I'm past the 14 day return window so it's too late to return the product now.
Try the hard reset as Weaselboy stated and are you on Comcast by chance?

Airportextreme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Arris CM820 - if I connect my computer directly to the modem, I get 100 Mbps.

Going to do a hard-reset in the next few minutes

Airportextreme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Worse now - 0.23 Mbps. Both cables are Cat 5E and one of them is brand new.

Last edited:

Airportextreme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I was afraid of that. Let me see if I can figure out a way to return this.

Do you know if I have to drop it off at a store/mail it in and wait for them to fix it? Or will they give me a replacement on the same day?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I was afraid of that. Let me see if I can figure out a way to return this.

Do you know if I have to drop it off at a store/mail it in and wait for them to fix it? Or will they give me a replacement on the same day?

AirPorts are not serviceable at a Genius Bar. You would walk in, a Genius will look and assess the situation, if they deem it to be indeed busted then they give you a new one and you report back to MacRumors how great the service was and that the new AirPort works great!

Airportextreme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
OK - So I got on the phone with Apple and it turns out it was a problem with Time Warner cable and not the Airport - Time Warner cable said a signal was out of range at my end but they fixed it.

So here are my current speedtest results:

Computer connected directly to Modem - 108 Mbps.
Computer connected wirelessly to Airport Extreme - 32 - 38 Mbps

Isn't this still too slow? Shouldn't my wireless speed be faster?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
OK - So I got on the phone with Apple and it turns out it was a problem with Time Warner cable and not the Airport - Time Warner cable said a signal was out of range at my end but they fixed it.

So here are my current speedtest results:

Computer connected directly to Modem - 108 Mbps.
Computer connected wirelessly to Airport Extreme - 32 - 38 Mbps

Isn't this still too slow? Shouldn't my wireless speed be faster?
It should be faster indeed. Perhaps you need to change the IPv6 settings as I know people on Comcast would need to configure the AirPort to use 6to4 relays to maintain full speed.

Airportextreme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Thanks! I'll contact Apply Support and see if they can help.

One last question(hopefully) - how do I know if I am connected to the 5GHZ network? I checked the box to identify the 5Ghz network with a different name but it doesn't show up on my iPhone 6 or my computer.

Last edited: