Very slow boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nimrodm, Mar 5, 2013.

1. nimrodm macrumors newbie

Hi.
    I have an macbook pro 13 2.4GHZ i5, 8GB 133 mhz DDR3,500GB HD (200GB free), mac osx 10.7.5. I have parallels 7 installed with win7 and it does not load on boot.
    My boot time takes very much time (1-1.5 minutes) and after osx loads it takes another 1-1.5 minutes until I can start using it with the internet working and programs loads fast.
    I have cleaned my cache, repaired permissions,repaired disk from disk repair(ctrl+r boot), cleaned up HD as much as possible, checked I dont have too much programs on startup(only got ituneshelper now) but I do have dropbox, google drive and skydrive loading on startup as well (even tough it does not appear in the user account login items).

I really have no idea what more can I do to make my computer boot faster. I dont bealive this is a reasonable time to load. I have to add that after the computer loads it works great so only the booting is a problem...

I'd appreciate any help in solving this issue.\

Thanks,

Nimrod

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

That's not outside the normal range. An SSD is the only reasonable way to improve the load time unless to want to remove some of the programs that load on startup.

Why shut it down anyway? I rarely turn my MBP off. I just let it sleep and I'm good to go. Takes all of 3 seconds to startup and login.

3. MrSqueamish macrumors newbie

Is this really the point though?

I have an early 2008 17" MBP (2.6GHz Core 2 Duo). From new the performance was very good (albeit not as snappy as my Air - but that's another story).

The real issue here is why do these devices slow down over time?

I have researched hard and have seen a lot of rubbish (a.k.a. guesswork) around this but no one, as far as I have been able to discover, has come up with a definitive answer.

If anyone here knows what's going on and can tell me, I'll be forever grateful :)

4. AngelOfSoul macrumors member

It's probably a..... Wait, hold on! What happened with mountain lion?

Get a fresh one from app store to make sure you get the latest EFI and SMC Firmware for your MBP. Pretty sure it's gonna fix yours, otherwise, must be a HDD issue.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I agree that a SSD will improve boot times and speed but I have a HDD and my boot time isn't slow.

6. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

have you looked at System Preferences>Users&Groups>Login Items.. when you do how many apps are launching at start up? this can cause a slow boot also.

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

In my case it's mostly the variety of apps I load on startup. Over time that number increases due to stuff we all add. I'm personally suspicious of MS Office. Macs without it running seem to boot faster.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

1min is way too much.
    When I had 7200rpm drive, it booted in at least 20sec~30sec.
    With the SSD, its near or under 10 seconds so there seems to be a problem.