Very slow copying from windows to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nomadski, May 1, 2012.

1. Nomadski macrumors regular

Im trying to copy a folder from my W7 64 bit pc to my wifes Macbook Pro running Lion and the transfer speed is 20KB/s, so it's taking 15 minutes to copy 24MB of data.

Both computers are on same network, the PC is wired into the modem/router, the mac is wirelessly connected.

Any ideas?

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Is it a hub on a home network? If so others using it can slow things down a lot.

If its only 24mb why not use a Usb Stick?

3. Jmouse macrumors 6502

15 minutes for 24 mb?
    That's way too long, something is wrong.

4. vineetm, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

vineetm macrumors newbie

vineetm

I think you you should re install your system, upgrade your RAM, and use CleanMyMac. It occurred with me too, i did the same and i have a healthy mac with lion ( but this OS is not healthy:D:D:D) Wating for Mountain lion if that is not good........... what about snow leopard???? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :apple::apple:

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

try plugging the macbook pro into the network as well and see if it is still slow (that will rule out wifi issues).

i can copy a couple of gb over wifi in a matter of minutes, and am going from lion to Win7 x64, so there is something seriously wrong with your either your network, the mac, or the win7 machine.

6. Nomadski thread starter macrumors regular

Im not sure what the difference is :S

I ended up moving it via usb, but there is an obvious issue here, and I would like to get to the bottom of it.

Im on Virginmedia cable. The pc is connected directly to the modem/router supplied by VM via Cat 6 cable. The mac is connected to same network wirelessly.

Will try physically connecting mac and see if issue persists.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None of that is necessary and doesn't address the OP's issues. I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

8. vineetm macrumors newbie

vineetm

Now I use CCleaner

Thanks For the advice:p

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't recommend that, either. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.