Very slow eject time for new pendrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asiga, Mar 13, 2017.

1. asiga macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I bought a brand new MX-LX 256 GB pen drive (USB 3.0). I formatted it as HFS+ Journaled. Performance is below average, but I don't care much about its performance.

However, there's one thing that it's a problem: Time for ejecting (unmounting) can take up to two minutes (tested it both with two ElCapitan Macs and a SnowLeopard Mac).

I suspected indexing (Spotlight) could be the problem. So I disabled indexing on this pen drive, following these steps: http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/7135

I checked that indexing isn't performed anymore on this pen drive (the LED doesn't flash when the drive is idle), but however, eject/unmounting the drive still takes about two minutes.

While ejecting, the LED flashes (so it's apparently doing something, but whatever it does, it's not indexing) and the pen drive gets warm, so it's doing something, but... what?

Any ideas? I was really happy with this pen drive, because it's 256GB but it's tiny, and has a good design...

2. asiga thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correction: Just checked that the problem doesn't happen with Snow Leopard. It ejects instantly there. The slow eject/unmount is with ElCapitan. Was anything changed in ElCapitan which would cause pendrives to take more than a minute to eject?

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I do not have an answer, but just an observation. I have noticed that El Capitan and Sierra are much more picky with USB pendrives. Certain brands seem to be slower to eject and will fail to unmount (timeout?) when trying to format in Disk Utility. I do not see the same behavior with Yosemite. The slow eject, I just wait it out. The Disk Utility unmount fail, I sometimes have to do a computer restart and then immediately run Disk Utility and then the format usually works.