VERY SLOW Final Cut Pro 6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drumtechjp, Dec 23, 2008.

1. drumtechjp macrumors newbie

I am using Final Cut Pro on my MacBook Pro (Early 2008 Model) with a 2.4ghz processor and upgraded 4gb ram.
    I recently installed Final Cut pro, and initially it seemed to work ok, but now after about a week of having it, everything seems to make it go slow. If I bring a clip into the timeline, I get the beachball for a while, the same goes for clicking anywhere on the timeline after the clip is placed. The render time seems to be much longer than it should be also. I checked the activity monitor throughout all this, and it says I am only using less than a gig of total memory, and have 3+ gb free. I am running minimal programs (just after a restart) yet it still runs incredibly slow. Also, my harddrive still has plenty of space on it, (more than 50 GB) enough to handle Leopards temp files.

Any thoughts as to why it is going so slow, and what I can do to fix it?

2. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

How full is your hard drive(os)?
    Are you using an external FW HD for your scratch disks?
    Try trashing your fcp prefs.

There are four files to trash when trying to trash the preferences.

workstation>Mac HD>Users>Workstation>Library>Preferences>com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist

workstation>Mac HD>Users>Workstation>Library>Preferences>Final Cut Pro User Data>Final Cut Pro 6.0 Prefs

workstation>Mac HD>Users>Workstation>Library>Preferences>Final Cut Pro User Data>Final Cut Pro Obj Cache

workstation>Mac HD>Users>Workstation>Library>Preferences>Final Cut Pro User Data>Final Cut Pro Prof Cache

When you delete these files and restart FCP each of these will be rebuilt.

http://www.lafcpug.org/Tutorials/basic_trash_prefs5.html