Very slow graphics - 3FPS - iMac 27" 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BradClarke, Mar 25, 2013.

1. BradClarke macrumors member

I really need help, every video is extremely choppy, weather its FCP, flash, Quicktime, doesn't matter.

I used Heaven Engine 4.0 at 720P and medium graphics, nothing fancy and this 2011 iMac 27" is only getting 3.5FPS for Min and Max.

I also have a 21.5 2011 iMac and its gets about 25FPS using the same engine and the same settings.

this is driving me nuts, anyone have any solutions?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Since they are both 2011 models they should both run the same OS, if this is the case you could connect both of them with a Firewire Cable, start the good iMac in Target Disk Mode and then Startup the slow iMac with the Option key pressed, it will get into the boot manager, choose the HD from the good iMac and see if it now works OK, if so the OS on the slow Mac is the problem.

Or, make a new User Account on the slow iMac, logout of normal User and into the new one, still have problems, if not your normal User account is affected.

You could also run Apple Hardware test by holding the D key at startup and see if there are any errors.
    Also open up Activity Monitor and see if there are any run away processes and if you get a lot of page outs.

3. BradClarke, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

BradClarke thread starter macrumors member

So I booted the 27" from the 21.5" via Target Disk mode over thunderbolt, same result on the imac 27". :(

Also when holding the letter D the imac will just sit on the grey screen with no logos or anything.

EDIT: NVM running hardware test now had to Hold Option + D to booth internet recovery, which is allowing me todo a Hardware test. Testing now.

4. BradClarke thread starter macrumors member

Ok did the Hardware test and its giving me this error code:

apple error code 4MDT/4/40000002: ODD-0

5. justperry, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Haven't seen this before but if I google part of it I get results like "4MDT/4/40000002: HDD" which is the HD, now ODD stands for Optical Disk Drive but I find it odd that the ODD could cause a problem like this.

One thing is for sure, there is a Hardware problem.
    You could try to boot up in safe mode by holding the Shift key while starting up, Hold it until the login screen appears, I know you could release it earlier like when you see the spinner but just hold it longer to be safe, now, is this better or not.

I hope someone else can also shine a light on the error, I do know some of them but not all.

Edit: It might be a sensor on the ODD (DVD/CD) drive but I am not sure.

Edit again: You should check Temps with iStaMenus or iStatPro, you might find something.