Very Slow Internet After Firmware Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by downhillski1, Jun 2, 2011.

1. downhillski1 macrumors member

Hey Guys. I have an early 2011 15" MBP w/ the following specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B0E
    SMC Version (system): 1.69f1
    Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (with all updates installed)

My internet was working great before I did the firmware update. The update completed normally, and the computer was plugged in while it was updating. Everything works normally since then except the internet. Note that it is every connection, ethernet, airport, mobile broadband, etc that is slow, no matter where I have tried it. In addition to my browsers being slow, (safari, firefox, chrome), skype won't connect and Twitter sometimes works.

In order to fix it I have tried: Creating a new location in the network pane of system preferences with updated DNS servers
    deleted all my plist files related to networking
    removed and re added network connections
    rebooted multiple times
    reinstalled the OS (not a wipe and reinstall, just the standard reinstall of the system files)
    removed all my internet plugins

Nothing has really made much of a difference except reinstalling the OS, but even that was negligible.

Any other suggestions on what to try? I am a bit reluctant to do a full reinstall because it is such a pain, but will if I have to. Also, I booted to a known good OS, and it was fine, so it is most definitely a software issue.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Have you tried an SMC/PRAM reset?

If that doesn't work go to /HDD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete Networkinterfaces.plist, com.apple.network.identification.plist and com.airport.preferences.plist (Maybe back them up first before deleting) and restart you computer.

Also clear out network related passwords from Keychain

3. downhillski1 thread starter macrumors member

yup - also tried all that. still no luck....

4. tenhead macrumors regular

same here

Safari has been slow for me lately. I'm using Chrome now and I notice it's much faster. Come on Apple !:mad: