very slow internet connection with win 8

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ungar, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ungar macrumors member

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 on my macbook air's bootcamp partition. The install went fine, and everything works except for one thing: my wifi internet connection is incredibly slow, both with IE and Firefox. With Windows 7, speed was fine, and with OS Mountain Lion everything is nice and snappy. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Apple doesn't support Windows 8 in Boot Camp yet. You may have to wait for a driver update to improve the performance and speed over Wi-Fi.

3. Sesshy macrumors newbie

You should run speedtest.net under both operating systems and compare the results to get a better idea about what's going on. I recall seeing in some post about W8 boot camp that wi-fi drivers needed to be downgraded to the most recent previous version to resolve that sort of issue, but I'm not sure to which model/s that applied. I'm on a 15" rMBP and have had no speed issues with W8x64 retail.

4. ungar thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help and for the speedtest tip.

Although Windows 8's device manager told me I had the latest driver for my broadcom wifi card, by googling around I found a driver on lenovo's website (http://support.lenovo.com/fr_FR/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS032423&rss=true) which I installed and everything seems to be working fine now. This might be of interest to others who have a late 2010 macbook air.

5. Lunettes macrumors newbie