Very slow internet.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Theone0581, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Theone0581, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015

Theone0581 macrumors member

I am a total noob when it comes to networking. Here's my issue: When I connect my Macbook Pro to a location (that's not very far from the router and I have full bars) I have a really slow connection. My PC connects at the exact location and the internet is fine. I need the Macbook at this location, but if I were to move it, it would be fine. It's just this particular location that makes the internet crawl and only for my Mac? Any solutions?

Speed Test at the exact location:

PC: 46.63Mbps

Mac: 3.24Mbps

2. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Move your WIFI router. Seriously.

3. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

Then hardwired, I get 180Mpbs. So I really think it's the modem.

4. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

I agree, move your modem/router. The PC is likely to have a very different internal arrangement of parts which may result in different signal strength measurements at similar locations in comparison to your Mac. Changing the modem position by a few inches should rectify the issue..

180mbps is a strange link speed for ethernet imo(though it depends on the parts/capabilities of the modem, as well as other devices connected etc..).. you might be on to something about the modem...

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you use one of those modem/router combos service providers usually give you, they suck.

Get a proper router and your problems will go away.