Very slow, laggy, freezing on Imac 17'

Discussion in 'iMac' started by keuair, Sep 18, 2009.

1. keuair macrumors newbie

Hi guys I need your advise on an iMac 17" Core 2 duo. I got this mac since 2007 and it became super slow since 2008 .....i wanna fix it i don't know how. Bootup time is at least 6 mins, Everything takes at least 3-4 mins to load, recently things ain't really loading at all. I've had reformatted it because I thought that would fix the problem; it didn't work. So I suspect it is a hard drive problem and I am considering buying a hard drive to end the misery. The problem is that I am not sure if it is really a hard drive problem.

Are there any other ways that would make a mac slower? Thanks for your advise.

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ditto for me, but my 17" 5.1 iMac has a 160gb hd and I know that it is effecting the performance-I often get a msg saying I am full-then I have to go and delete everything I can find to get it going again.
    I do seem to get a temp boost after I do a repair permissions.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

How much RAM do you have?

Perhaps a RAM chip has failed or is failing.

Do you have the hardware test discs that came with your iMac? You could run that.

4. Tyr. macrumors member

Sounds more like failing memory. Try memtest osx :

http://www.memtestosx.org/joomla/index.php

You will need to reboot into single user mode and use the command prompt though.

Also use the "Console" program (in Application/Utilities) to check your system logs for errors that might give a clue.