VERY slow loading of web pages.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rsd, Dec 3, 2008.

1. rsd macrumors member

rsd

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a problem with my my web page loading speed... its ridiculously slow!

One day a few months ago Firefox just stop loading pages all of a sudden, i closed it down reopened FF and from then on it has loaded pages really slowly, i mean dial up kinda speed. i switched over to using Safari and for a day or two that worked well-ish and then just like FF the pages started loading slower and slower.

After reinstalling FireFox and that not helping, doing the usual HDD repairing and resetting the SRAM and stthat not helping, i was at a loose end, so i did a complete reinstall of 10.5 (format and fresh install) thinking this MUST solve the issue, but alas the same thing is happening.

i know the obvious think may be a slow internet connection, but all my other Macs and Windows PCs are working fine on the 10MB connection and downloads etc are working at the right speed. So I looked at my network topography and everything is fine in that department yet again with other computers connected to the same switch.

I am at a loose end, i really dont know what else to try, if there is someone how may know how to help me, i would be VERY greatful.

Thanks.

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Can you give us more informations on the system you are experiencing problems on?
    How exactly is your network built? Router?

Is the networking between that mac and the other computers working fine? (file sharing, etc).

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Does Safari also load slow?

Do downloads work, such as torrents?

4. rsd thread starter macrumors member

rsd

Yeah, Safari and Firefox both load pages slowly.

All downloads via web browser work fine and also torrents are coming in nicely.

As for my network... everything is fine, file sharing, printer sharing, audio streaming. I connect to the outside world via modem >> router >> hub >> hub (local) >> switch (local) -- attached is a graphical representation of my network topography.

I am not sure what other information to pass on. I really hope somebody will be able to assist :)

Attached Files:

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Could it be a Java script issue?

I know nothing about Javascript but as the problem seems isolated to one machine and just browsing not downloading maybe its that?

6. rsd thread starter macrumors member

rsd

I know nothing about Java either... but if it was java would it not have been fixed with a fresh install of 10.5?

7. rsd thread starter macrumors member

rsd

Solved!

Well for anyone who was thinking of solutions to help me, thank you very much.

it turns out it was a DNS problem, and i have resolved it using OpenDNS ... Fantastic!

if there is anyone else out there with the same problem as i had i would recommend using OpenDNS, or at least adding 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222 to your list of DNS servers.

For more info go here

Thanks again everyone... now i feel a little stupid for doing a complete reinstall of OSX... oh well

rSd

8. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Glad to hear you found the solution!

By the way, I am also using openDNS since months, due to the DNS of my ISP sometimes being slowly.

9. rsd thread starter macrumors member

rsd

I am VERY happy to come across OpenDNS, i had never even heard of them but very glad to have now. i still dont understand why it all when wrong tho??

i would be very interested to see how many people rely on OpenDNS :rolleyes: