Very slow Mbp mid 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ole juul, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Ole juul macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a very slow ( like VERY) slow mbp mid 2012.
    I have taken all out of it, like photos, docs, downloaded files etc..
    Made a reset and re-installed with newest software and even upgraded it from 4 gb ram to 16 gb ram..

Still very slow working mbp !

Cannot see what's causing the problem when I check the activity control...

Seen threads about changing something in the "kernel", but I'm not sure that's the path to follow....

Hope some of you have inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Ole

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Do you still have the original hard drive in there? If so, that's why.

3. Ole juul thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I would suggest doing a backup and then upgrade to an SSD. I have an SSD in my mid-2012 MBP and it flies.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I will second AppolloBoy An SSD is a brilliant upgrade and that does sound like dying HDD that needs replacing anyway.

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

What version of OS X are you running? The newer versions(10.10+) are not exactly happy with HDD, compared to SSD.

7. Ole juul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all...
    Bought a new ssd... Guess that'll do the trick

8. jowiliam macrumors newbie

Any updates? I have the same problem. I was looking to upgrade my 4Go RAM to 16Go Ram but if SSD works, I will reconsider...

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Jowilliam unless you are actually using lots of RAM it does not as much good as most people think. 8GB will be enough for most standard uses and I would advise that amount. On the other hand the biggest bottle neck at the moment on any non SSD equipped computer is the HDD they are very slow, an SSD will make your mac feel better than new, 15 secs boot times and instant app opening combined with better performance of yosemite or el capitan with SSD's make them the best overall upgrade you can give any computer.

10. jowiliam macrumors newbie

Thank you Samuelsan, I'll wait for Ole Juul... But I think you'right. I'll probably go with 8GoRam + SSD. I'll post an update as soon as I can.

11. Ole juul thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll receive my SSD within this week... Will Update you as soon as I have installed it

12. M3Stang macrumors newbie

I got my ssd in today after what felt like an eternity of slowness on my mid-2012 i7 2.9 GHz with 16GB of ram, and a clean install of el capitan I must say this thing is beastly. It starts up so fast and launches apps in a blink of an eye.

13. Ole juul thread starter macrumors newbie

Put in my new ssd yesterday, but the Mac didn't recognize the ssd and not allowing partition...

Bought a Samsung 850 pro 256gb...

I'm getting to old for this S... !

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sounds like the SATA cable to the drive failing. That is probably what was originally causing the slowness, that is the danger when advice is given to upgrade something without understanding the actual issue. Two possibilities:

1. Blindly replace the cable and hope, they run about $25 from memory and its a relatively easy 20min replacement.
    2. Obtain DriveDX and look for Cable CRC errors, specifically whether the count is increasing over time, that indicates interface and likely cable issues, hence replace the cable. Added cost of this route of DriveDX

You could also have run a drive speed test, that would have told us if it was running slower than expected and hence indicated a problem other than just it has an HDD fitted.

On the balance of probabilities I would swap the cable out, I'd give that >90% chance of resolving the issue.

15. Ole juul thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input simonsi
    Have been able to read El Capitan to the ssd via usb so you might be correct about the Sata cable..

However Org parts to the MBP cost around 100$ in Denmark...

Any experience on Far East models to the MBP... Price around 20$..?

16. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi