Very Slow rMBP Boot.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
this is the 2.6, 512gb 8 gb version.

Boot goes to apple almost instantly, but then the rotating circle keeps going on for 2-5 mins. sometimes it doesnt even load.

these are the things i have tried:
pram / smc reset many times
selected the ssd as my start up drive.
taken everything off from login startup apps
reinstalled from scratch. Not from an image.
Did the apple hardware test- everything passed.
Nothing plugged in

I have no idea whats going on. I have tested the speed of the SSD once logged in and everything is ok. 450+ read/write speeds. Temps are fine. Fans are ok. No lagging once in.

It really is driving me insane. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

TrikieD

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
How about trying verbose boot (Command-V) so you can see what it's doing to cause the delay. Maybe it's sticking or timing out at some step of the process.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Highlight your start up disk. Go to system preference and highlight the start up disk. See if this helps.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Highlight your start up disk. Go to system preference and highlight the start up disk. See if this helps.
did that. Also verified and fixed disk permissions through disk utility.

Did verbose (command + v) and everything went fine, and goes all the way to "macbook pro (somthing) ok:"

then just stays there. i press keys and just writes what i press like in DOS. then it loads in the same about of time 2-5 minutes.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Did you try booting in Safe Mode? Any difference?
have not tried that. ( at work right now, no computer). What would i be able to gather from that? If it starts up fine, its an issue with an app or something? Just like to add that this is happening with a completely fresh isntall, nothing downloaded or installed.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
have not tried that. ( at work right now, no computer). What would i be able to gather from that? If it starts up fine, its an issue with an app or something? Just like to add that this is happening with a completely fresh isntall, nothing downloaded or installed.
Going off this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20025628-263.html

The first thing to try if the system continually boots slowly is to boot into Safe Mode, which will clear the dynamic loader shared cache and potentially clear pauses at the blue screen before the system either logs in or presents the log-in window.
Ultimately subsequent boots after this may be faster.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Going off this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20025628-263.html

Ultimately subsequent boots after this may be faster.
so that didnt work, during verbose start up, it hangs on "macx_swapon success"

couple of things ive noticed as well:

dynamic gpu switching is not working sometimes.

when i restart, i get a very very quick flash of black with white letteringon the top left of the screen when everything else is gray.

this is very weird.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
update:

Apprently the logic board has to be replaced. Kind of weird that it happened out of nowhere. At least i know theres nothing i couldve done, because it was driving me crazy that i couldnt figure it out.