Very slow sync's

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rickeames, Apr 24, 2010.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

I am hoping someone has solved this problem -- when I hook my iPad up, it takes FOREVER to talk to iTunes (spinning beach ball), then FOREVER to backup, then FOREVER to sync. And by FOREVER, I mean that entire sequence could take 30 mins and it is not doing anything. I really loathe the idea of having to rebuild my iTunes library, but I'm starting to run out of options.

FWIW: same thing happens if I hook up my iPod Touch, however it does NOT happen with the iPhone -- that goes zippy fast like normal.

Any ideas?

2. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

I too am having same problem

3. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

What kind of computer do you guys have?

My iPad syncs very quickly to my Mac Pro. However, my iPod Touch syncs slower than a mofo to my iMac G4. That's cause is has USB 1.1.

Hey, rickeames, any relation to Charles Eames? :) One of the 20th century's greatest designers/artists.

4. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

I have a Dell PC. My iPhone BU flys, but iPad is sloooo! I had to do a restore on iPad yesterday and it took almost 2 hours.

Syncing music or videos on iPad takes same amount of time as iPhone.

5. bbtrinet macrumors member

The backup takes more time the more stuff you put on your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch.

It's not just the APPS, but think about what the APPS themselves are storing! For example, if you get a voice recording app, and then record an hour-long lecture, when you sync, iTunes has to back this up.

6. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

If you are syncing photos, also remember that itunes will optimize each image for the ipad before it is transferred, and that will take time and CPU.

7. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

One problem has been found. It is Ambrosia Software's iToner. This has been noted in the Apple forums.

8. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Sync problem fixed, but backup is still glacial

Yes, I figured that one out -- the clue was that it went faster if I had my iPhone connected at the same time. So removing iTonerSupport.bundle took care of my slow sync times.

However, the backup takes well over an hour, and that's just unacceptable. They have to figure out how to make that faster as I can't wait like that everytime I do a sync. Blech. Some people have found if they turn off syncing apps, it zips along quickly, but that's not tenable either.

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Try this mate:

http://www.twelvepin.com/backup-disabler

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1224 : Try this as well. This is the best way to uninstall iTunes.

10. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem a couple of times. Ultimately it ended up resulting in uninstalling iTunes (see official link below) and re-installing it. I knew that was the issue cause when I first got the iPad it worked fine on my MBP, but couldn't get it to sync quickly for the life of me on my iMac. Reinstalling iTunes did the trick. Then I was stupid and used iToner to resync the ringtones on my iPhone and somehow that broke iTunes again...for iPad syncing anyway... so it resulted in reinstalling iTunes AGAIN. Having no problems now though.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1224

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Hate to resurrect this thread, but can't seem to find an answer. I have a Windows 7 PC and every time I sync the iPad wants to backup. And it is sloooooooooooooooow.

How can I turn that OFF??? :confused:

12. dread macrumors 6502a

try preferences, devices, check box that says prevent ipod, itouch, and ipad from automatically syncing.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That will stop it from automatically syncing, but when I choose to sync manually, the first thing it does is a backup I don't want or need. :mad:

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

My backup takes seemingly forever as well, and I don't even have the iToner app installed. I really hope that Apple can streamline this process.

15. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I'm on a mac pro and iMac and syncs only take a couple minutes with back up. I feel your guys' pain.

Time to upgrade to a mac ;)

16. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

Make sure you have music Downsampling turned OFF. iTunes does this on the fly, not saving copies. So, My sync when from 2.5 hours to 3 minutes by turning off this function. However, the space used on the iPad increased pretty dramatically...

17. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

This is not a long term solution but if you have an iPhone, plug it in at the same as the iPad. I have no idea why this works but it causes my iPad to sync MUCH more quickly. Hopefully, it will work and get you by until a proper fix is found.

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I dont mind the backup taking X time. I just want to decide whether I want to backup or not. I find Apple deciding for me that I HAVE to backup every sync rather annoying. Sure, if I need to restore and I haven't backed up in 3 months, then I lose, but it should be MY responsibility. This forced backup thing seems like a very San Francisco liberal government-nanny-state kinda thing... :rolleyes:

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Google "diable iphone backup." Once you apply these methods, it works for any iDevice you sync with iTunes on that computer.

20. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

If I tell you the link, will you guys settle down?

21. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

If I tell you the link, will you guys settle down?

http://www.twelvepin.com/

22. iserian macrumors 6502

On a nearly full 64 - I gave up at 3 Hours on backup --- Bar was not even close to half way done :(

23. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Hey, thanks for that. I didn't know that and have iToner installed. I was noticing long delays before synch began. I'll be making some changes!

*EDIT* after perusing apple's forums, I see that Ambrosia has released an update to iToner to fix this issue.

24. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

No worries dude. The new iToner fixes the problem though so this is no longer an issue.

25. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

To everyone who has this issue;

You need to do a Restore in iTunes on your iPad. Once you do that DO NOT reinstall from a backup. You need to select 'Set up new device.'

I guarantee this will fix your problems. I went from a 3 hour+ backup to about 4 minutes. I synced my entire iTunes Library, over 11 gigs, in less than 15 minutes.

Trust me, this works.