Very slow tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oNFSo, Jul 7, 2015.

1. oNFSo, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

oNFSo macrumors newbie

oNFSo

Do anyone have a possible solution for VERY slow Internet sharing. Ive tried all the different sharing options (WIFI, BT and Wired). Alle of them are very slow and struggle to reach 0.5 mbps. When i test on the phone itself i reach around 10 mbps. But as soon as i try to share my internet connecting to my PC it drops down. Any suggestions?

Edit: Iphone 5 btw and yes i have alot of data left from contract

Just tested a little more. The speed drop starts as soon as i connect my pc to the iphone hotspot, even if i only test on my iphone without anything running on PC

2015-07-07 10.44.43.png 2015-07-07 10.45.48.png

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have always found it to be slow. That is why I got a cellular iPad. Much faster and it does not kill my phone battery

3. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Who is your carrier? And do you have a tethering plan? It almost seems like you don't have the proper plan, so when you tether your carrier is throttling you.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's probably your carrier intentionally throttling the connection. My speeds are the same when tethering as they are when I'm not tethering.

5. oNFSo thread starter macrumors newbie

oNFSo

Its a Danish company. They have a guide on how to setup the phone for tethering so i dont see the problem the carrier, as its not mentioned as an extra service or anything just a standard guide on how to setup tethering.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You could try a reset of your network settings. This should ping the update server for your local carrier to see if there are any updates to correct the issue. At the very least it should clear up any bugs within the settings, if they were in fact interfering with the quality.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

When you tether natively on the iPhone (or any device really), the APN changes. (That's how they are able to track the amount of tethering data accurately)

OP's carriers must be routing traffic through a different proxy when he is tethering, which explains the lower speeds.

I'm sure they do this, so people don't tether their laptops and torrent off cellular networks :)

8. cynics macrumors G3

I'm with Verizon in the US. And my tethering is SLIGHTLY slower then the actual phone speeds. I'd imagine if once you reset all your devices if the speeds are still the same its something to do with your carrier as described above.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any slow downs is done on your carrier side of the network.

10. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

Looks like carrier if it only happens when tethering enabled... Have you tried asking them explicitly if they do this?