Very slow wifi

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ashleypenny, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ashleypenny macrumors member

I've just got my 27" iMac and I'm having trouble with the wifi. Ive been tinkering for about an hour now but not getting anywhere. Over ethernet its blazing fast but soon as i take it out and use wifi its very slow. as an idea i was downloading the update for OSX and it was coming down about 8k/sec and predicting 12 hours. Router is downstairs, PC in same place picks it up no problem as does iPad, iPhone and all other devices in the house, OSX update didnt resolve it. Am I missing something really obvious?

2. mlamb64150 macrumors member

Could be a bandwidth allocation issue if you have so many devices connected to it. How old is your router?

Trying switching off the Wifi on some of your devices, restart the router and see if it's faster?

3. iWaiting macrumors regular

are you on 2.4 or 5 ghz I am still waiting for my iMac to land but I have found that in certain situation if there is a distance and brick walls in the path the 2.4 is faster, but if in the same room as the router then the 5 ghz is better, try bth to eliminate any attenuation issues

4. mlamb64150 macrumors member

You might also want to check this thread -http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1509575

A new iMac 2012 firmware update addressing some known wifi issues.