Very small water spill with instant shutdown on Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by newuser26, Aug 3, 2011.

1. newuser26 macrumors newbie

Hi all, sorry this spill question keeps coming up but as I haven't seen anyone experience what happened with mine, I thought I'd ask for help/thoughts/advice as well.

Early this evening I spilled an extraordinarily small amount of water (think less than a cap's worth) on the top right side of my 11 inch MBA. Much of it actually went under/near the computer, and the keyboard area was not wet at all. However, as soon as the few drops hit it, it immediately shut down completely. Thinking maybe it was a battery issue and not a water concern, I tried to power it back up which didn't work and which I now realize was a monstrous mistake (sorry). It's currently sitting in front of a fan, but even when I went to move it no water dripped out nor did I feel any wetness on the body.

So, given that there was literally no wetness or water anywhere to be noticed but that water was definitely spilled on/near it, what on earth happened? I sense this immediate shutdown is not a good sign.

Thank you so, so much for any thoughts!

2. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

3. blkonblk17 macrumors 6502

Ouch, not too much I know about this but good luck buddy. Keep us posted..

4. calvol macrumors 6502a

I would try to dry it out a few days. You might try putting it into a sealed plastic bag with about 2-3 cups of rice to act as a desiccating agent. Definitely don't turn it back on until you think it's dried out.

5. hcho3 macrumors 68030

It's dead. It's ain't magical against water. Also, you say it was a water inside cap. That's not very small.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Water is the kiss of death for electronics, and the MacBook Air is particularly vulnerable because there is nowhere for the water to go. The keyboard is also used for heat dissipation, so the water quickly seeps down.

Apple can replace the logic board for $755. I did something similar a few weeks ago, and they made a one-time exception and waived the charge. Depending on how long ago you bought it, some credit cards offer accident protection. Some homeowner's/renter's policies also cover accidents, but usually after a $500 deductible.

7. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The keyboard cover that I bought for my MBA has saved me one time when a small amount of water spilled on to the keyboard accidentally ;) It's THE best accessory of all.:D

8. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I recently checked and my homeowner's is only $100 deductible for computers, plus $7 per $1000 coverage per year.