Very specific question about Crumpler's 8 Million Dollar Home.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rm.237, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Rm.237, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Rm.237 macrumors 6502

And I'm sure it's been asked before. :)

Crumpler states that the bag holds up to a 13" laptop but after having seen some pics I have a sneaking suspicion that puppy might be able to squeeze in my 15" MacBook Pro. I would rather not spend $295 on the Brazillion Dollar Home plus I think it's too big. Anyone use the 8 Million Dollar Home to hold their 15" along with a camera and accessories?

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Last Christmas when I traveled instead of using a camera bag and computer bag with wheels I put the computer and camera and lenses in a soft sided duffel that I carried. It was way too heavy. I had to buy a set of wheels for it to finish my trip.

I've looked at the Crumpler bags and think they are quite nice but I'm seriously reconsidering putting all the gear in one bag. You could try to test this out with some simple bag from around the house to see if you really want to deal with that much weight.

PS: I'm using a 17" MBP which is heavier (~6.5 lbs).

3. Riya1 macrumors newbie

Spooky you should ask. I went into the Crumpler shop today to ask exactly that question and the sales girl, who really seemed to know her stuff, said the 8M would fit my 15 inch MBP.

The only downside when I was looking at the bag was that it's quite deep - basically the length of the laptop, which slots in vertically rather than horizontally. So if you're trying to get out some camera kit and it's at the bottom of a pocket, you have to unload everything on top of it to get it out.

She sensibly suggested that I come in and try it out with the kit in it (including laptop) so I'll do that. I have to say I like seeing where all my gear is and whilst it's fine to take a body with a long lens on it, it doesn't seem so good for shorter lenses or accessories.

Anyway, hopefully that answers your questions about the laptop size!

4. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

Not sure about Crumpler but I recently used Kata DR-467i on my trip to India. I was able to fit in 13" MBP (although it had room for 15") + Canon 40D + 15-85 IS + 75-300 IS + 10-22 + 50mm 1.8. + external drive for backups + card reader and bunch of smaller stuff. Although with all this thing in bag it became pretty heavy nearly 25 lbs but it was comfortable carrying around and saved me on baggage.

5. Riya1 macrumors newbie

uh-oh. Testing out at the Crumpler store less than successful. Firstly, the 15 inch doesn't fit. Secondly, pockets were way too deep for my kit and it was very awkward trying to work out what to put where. I have a Canon DSLR with kit lens, one short lens, one telephoto and one wide angle. I also have a Lumix happy snappy, tripod, spare drive and all of course all the adaptors, chargers etc. There was stacks of room for this in the Crumpler but it just didn't fit in a logical way.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.