Very specific speaker-related question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reguy3, Mar 26, 2008.

1. reguy3 macrumors newbie

Today, it occurred to me that I know very little about the internal speakers on the MBP. I can't find what brand they are anywhere online or any in-depth specifications relating directly to the speakers (not directly to the sound card.) Specifically, I am trying to find out what the frequency response of the internal speakers of my MPB 3,1. If anyone happens to know, or could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful.

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Well, I can tell you right off anything in the lower frequency range has NO chance of working well on the small little speakers. I'm sure there's info on the specifics of the speakers in the tech specs on the Apple website. If not thre, Google should point you in the right direction (first, search for the brand/specs of the speakers in your version, then search for the frequencies that a speaker of that size/caliber can recreate).

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

In all honesty, i doubt it'll be anything Apple will publish cause most users won't be using them for anything other than audio feedback or watching youtube.

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

If you want me to, I can run a frequency sweep and see if I can give you a general idea of where the cutoffs are.

But yeah, lowest octave, don't expect to hear it. Maybe even the two lowest (20 - 80 Hz) or more.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

My 15" MBP speakers seem to roll off between 120 Hz and 130 Hz. 110 Hz is practically inaudible.

The uppermost limit seems to be ~17 KHz.

6. reguy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Awesome. Thanks guys. That gives me a pretty good approximation for figuring out how close I c an get to the threshold of hearing (~20Hz-20kHz). I guess I'll be buying some better headphone, eh?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You will want good headphones if you need quality sound.

8. ipo macrumors member

and

aand, you ain't gonna get it with the stocked hardware. You need an external sound card. The Macbooks are generating a significant amount of high freq. noise. / all computers do / :cool:

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The soundcard in the MacBook Pro isn't as poor as you'd expect it to be. I haven't had experience with the chips in the latest MacBooks, but my MBP significantly outperform's my dad's two generation old MacBook with headphones/connected to a stereo.

A good sound can be had with a decent pair of headphones connected to the MBP's headphones output (assuming you have a newer one, the older ones weren't as good). Getting an external soundcard would upgrade the sound significantly...

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe the MBPs use the same sound cards as their iPods.