Very Strange app updates....

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Chazz08, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

Does anyone know what these are? They just popped up this morning. I don't have anything that resembles them and they are in a different language. Also, note that they are the exact same size. I haven't done the update on them, for obvious reasons. This is from the App Store in iOS 7.1.

(I know I can do a screen shot, but I'm posting this for a friend and he didn't have internet to send me a screen shot at the time. 3rd world country equals unreliable internet. haha.)

Attached Files:

2. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. btsvchris macrumors member

I don't really understand the problem. That are two apps, one for guitar and one for drum. It is nothing special that a company releases updates for their apps with the same size at the same time. Nothing to worry about !

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unless you never downloaded/installed those apps to begin with and apparently don't have them on your device--based on what the OP mentions.

5. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly, that's what I mean. It's kind of worrisome since Apple has such a control on the App Store. I'm wondering if I should call Apple and report this. I'm certain it's malware, too. What else could it be? Maybe an NSA backdoor? haha. Jkjk. Was just curious if other people were experiencing it too, but I guess not.

6. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Sounds like malware posing as the app store to me. i wouldn't touch it unless you know what you're clicking.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Could someone have access to the same Apple ID and perhaps installed something on a different device and it's somehow getting reflected on this one? Even though that's not really how it should work anyway.

Alternatively, perhaps some sort of App Store glitch? Have you tried signing out and back into the App Store (and/or restarting the phone as well for a good measure)?

8. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, we definitely aren't touching it, but we don't know how it got there. It's in the actual App Store update queue, and the other apps are being updated from there. So it's a bit strange. I sent an email to Apple. Hopefully I hear back soon.

----------

That's a good question. I don't think so. I'll have to ask my friend. We did try to at least go to the apps page, but it won't bring anything up. So we can't see the info or developer of the apps. That leads me to believe that someone else using the ID might not be the case, and if they are legitimate apps, they should be linked to the app's page, right? I'm hoping a glitch or something, as you suggested. I didn't think about signing out and back in. I'll tell him to do that and see what happens.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

From iTunes on your computer, open the store and click on "Purchased", and see if you ever purchased any of those apps.

Edit: based on what you said through, it sounds like none of these apps are on your iPad, so it's strange that updates would appear for them.

10. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that what we thought. I called Apple and the guy wasn't helpful at all. Haha. He said to take it to an Apple Store, but we don't have one here. We'd have to go to a different country.