Very strange display problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Muskie, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

Ok, this one really makes me go "wtf".

At the office here last week a G5 died, so we go pick up a Mac Pro today (yay!). We get it all set up and start the OS X Setup stuff, only to hit a brick wall. Something odd is happening with the display (See attached images). The text and UI are all skewed and bent, as if being refracted in a mirror. It changes slightly every time we restart or change pages. Sometimes there are corners of UI windows (or something similar not really sure...) that are repeated across the display. Even the nifty Tiger intro video experienced bends and misshapen logos.

We called the tech people from the store we picked it up from, they were as baffled as we were and couldn't offer any help. I've sent the pictures to a few of my friends and they have never seen anything like it before either. We tried changing monitors, swapping ports in the back, restarting everything - multiple times - even moved the whole setup to a new area in the office for kicks. Nothing has changed the errors. I'm not sure if its related to the display, the card, the OS, or even just that intro/setup screen.

My boss just left with the Mac Pro and is bringing it back for an exchange. So there is no urgency in finding a fix. I just want to show what I've seen, and hopefully get an idea or an answer as to what went wrong. I'm sure someone here knows what's up.

What an interesting afternoon it has been.

I'm looking forward to your responses.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've seen something very loosely similar on VGA displays... is it VGA or DVI? What displays are they, anyway?

3. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

They were two Viewsonic lcds (I dont know the models). One was VGA and the other DVI, I wish we had more than two Viewsonics, but thats what we could get our hands on. We didn't even have a CRT to try out.