Very Strange Experience with my Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Doublea6, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Doublea6 macrumors regular

Doublea6

This last week I had a presentation in one of my classes and I used my trusty macbook air 2013. I got up to the front of the class and sat my mac on my professors macbook pro 17" (which was closed). I then got it all set up, put the dvi adaptor in, got the projector working, and was about to begin when my screen went blank. My computer wasn't responding, I clicked, tapped some buttons, nothing. This is when I was like, "ahhhhh, somethings not working,..." and panicking a little. I unplugged and plugged the adaptor back in looking all complex. Still nothing. I then picked my computer up and like magic my presentation was back. I suspiciously sat it back down and it returned to its prior unresponsive state. I repeated this a few times with the same results. We then moved her computer and I continued on with my presentation. I got an, "A" on it too if you were interested and it was on human photosynthesis.

Soo I have no Idea why this happened. I could think of a few solutions, but then still it doesn't make sense. First thing I thought of was the connection from the adaptor, but I unplugged and messed around with it to no avail. The next thought was that something to do with my computer software or hardware might be faulty. I know that my computer has gone into sleep mode while I'm using it before, but this was a little to conditional. The final reasoning is that my professor's computer was messing up mine/visa versa. I was thinking it might have to do with magnetic radiation, or some other signal being given off. It doesn't really explain what was happening though.

Has anybody had this sort of thing happen to them? Or an explanation of why this happened? It was super strange to me. Thanks everybody.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

It's probably just the magnetic sleep sensor detecting an attractive magnetic field from your professor's mac which puts your Air to sleep. No harm is done to your Air.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Not Angels floating about like that Signer in South Africa! :D

A few posts here about spontaneous sleep, but they never came back to say whether they had it serviced, or disappeared after they made adjustment etc.

So it's all a mystery.

Check out the Apple's official forum see if u find anything there.

4. Doublea6 thread starter macrumors regular

Doublea6

I'd heard of the spontaneous sleep and have experienced it a few times, but I thought that it was fixed in the new update. This quite different though, it's just strange.

5. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

I have similiar experiece with this.
    actually, when using output (thunderbolt) to projector or other display interface, i always chosing "nvidia graphic" in 15retina MBP.

i dont know, i always have problem with integrated graphic when using "projector".

6. copa macrumors member

copa

ok, not to derail the thread, but what exactly is human photosynthesis? I'm not green yet, is there something I should look into? ;)

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I'd like to know also (not being snarky).

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

9. Robyr macrumors regular

My only comment: That is a whole LOT of bunk "science".

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I stick by my magnetic jewelry theory: Big rings, big watch, big bracelet.

11. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's very simple: your professor's Macbook Pro has a magnet on it's top cover, just like your MacBook Air does. The magnet on her Mac is probably much stronger than the one on your MacBook Air, owing to the fact that it's a 17 inch model and would require more force to keep the lid closed.

In any case, when you placed your MacBook Air on the lid of her closed Mac, it likely sensed the magnet that it was also sitting on. Mistaking this magnet for its own, the MacBook Air assumed that the proximity of this magnet meant that it was in a closed position and promptly went to sleep, as it's designed to do.

Nothing to be worried about, and nothing mysterious about it. Just don't stack your Mac laptops one on top of the other and all will be fine. :)

13. Doublea6, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

Doublea6 thread starter macrumors regular

Doublea6

It must have been because I was using an air as well. A few of the other students had used their macs to present and had set them on her mac. That's why I had, but their's were pros which means they were thicker. I guess the magnets didn't effect them.

----------

To clarify, we humans obviously don't photosynthesis as multiple of you have figure out. The presentation's subject was an entrepreneur project. Meaning us students were suppose to come up with some kind of biotech related product to solve some kind of problem.

I researched about a few animals that can actually photosynthesis (a sea slug, and a spotted salamander) and came up with an idea. To save the details, my product was to tattoo the necessary ingredients for photosynthesis in stem cells into the skin and create cool hipster tattoos that made food for you.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This is probably right. the MacBook Pros are thicker, and there might've been just enough distance on them to not trip their sensors. With the Air being very thin, it was easier to make this happen.

----------

To clarify, we humans obviously don't photosynthesis as multiple of you have figure out. The presentation's subject was an entrepreneur project. Meaning us students were suppose to come up with some kind of biotech related product to solve some kind of problem.

I researched about a few animals that can actually photosynthesis (a sea slug, and a spotted salamander) and came up with an idea. To save the details, my product was to tattoo the necessary ingredients for photosynthesis in stem cells into the skin and create cool hipster tattoos that made food for you.[/QUOTE]

15. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

My answer was that I wanted to hear what the OP had to say about it.

16. Doublea6 thread starter macrumors regular

Doublea6

Here is what I just mentioned up a few posts. I have no idea what that site is claiming and for one you can never trust something that is just trying to sell something or looks that shady. If you read anyone of it, Melanin protects us from the sun, but it doesn't make us photosynthesis. But any who.

I researched about a few animals that can actually photosynthesis (a sea slug, and a spotted salamander) and came up with an idea. To save the details, my product was to tattoo the necessary ingredients for photosynthesis in stem cells into the skin and create cool hipster tattoos that made food for you.