Very strange going on's, please read inside..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trippr, Apr 17, 2008.

1. trippr macrumors member

trippr

Hi everyone,

I have been getting little electric shocks when my arm brushs my Technics turntable while sat on my MBP, at first i guessed it was my turntable so i unplugged it..

Then i put a line in lead into my line in port on the side of my mbp, when i took it out i got a shock off that...
    i touched the left side of my mbp next to the track pad and got a shock off this.. then realized everytime i had my arm on this part and touched my turntable or mixer i got a shock from them, not the mac, but when my arm is not on the mac i dont get them..

This is very strange and i think something could really be wrong with my mac,

Has anyone got any idea what the prob is or any advice, cheers for reading..

2. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Sounds like a ground fault in your STEREO system... not your Mac. Your Mac just happens to have a good ground, and the static shock is coming from your other electronics and going thru your arm and out the mac... not the other way around

3. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Correct.

4. trippr thread starter macrumors member

trippr

ok, so if that is the case when all my other electrics are unplugged apart from my mac i shouldn't get a shock?

I have unplugged all my others, when i touch the mixer while unplugged, nothing. When i touch the mixer unplugged and my mbp at the same time, static shock..

any idea if this is doin my mac harm or will it at all
    ?

cheers

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

why are you setting it on your mbp

6. trippr thread starter macrumors member

trippr

sorry, that come across wrong.. hehe..

I am sat at my mb and while typing on my keyboard my arm brushes the turntable.. thats when i get the shock

7. designingdani macrumors newbie

i know i'm coming to this late, but your not alone. i have the same problem with mine. if you google it you'll find a lot of mbp users do too. it happens more when plugged into outlets that aren't grounded.