Very strange iPhone upgrade issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by travistaylor, Jun 21, 2009.

1. travistaylor macrumors regular

So, I had my iPhone 3G S on preorder and it was delivered on June 19th. I was out of town until tonight, and I tried to activate it. Of course, I got the 48 hours message (but received no email about any iTunes credit of any kind).

Either way, my first gen iPhone continues to make calls, but no data. I cannot activate edge because I constantly get the message: "Could not activate cellular network: you are not subscribed to a cellular data service". I've been getting this message since at least Saturday, but it may have been before. I have been out of town on a college campus, so I was using WiFi almost all of the time...I didn't notice it until Saturday.

This is strange, because I have always had the old standard $20.00 data plan for my first gen iPhone, never had any problems. I selected a data plan for my new iPhone 3G S when I purchased it via the Apple Store. I checked my plan online, and sure enough, it shows that I have a first gen iPhone and no data plan selected. Quite strange!

I decided to take my SIM card out of my first gen iPhone and put it into my 3G S to see if the data would work in it. This did not work, I still get the same error message. Of course, the 3G S will make calls etc... with the activated SIM card.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I have tried resetting the network settings to no avail. I feel sure this is an AT&T issue, but I was just curious if anyone else had the same issue and I also wonder if it was resolved when the 3G S was activated.

Thanks!

2. travistaylor thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to double post, but now that I am thinking about it, I think that this issue might have started happening after I upgraded my First Gen iPhone to 3.0.... Would that have anything to do with it?

3. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

This happened to me on my 3G 2 days prior to receiving it. While processing your pre-order, they put your imei and sim in place and most likely removed your data plan. Call up AT&T and they'll get it back on.

4. travistaylor thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I will give them a call first thing tomorrow morning to see if I can get my iPhone working properly. I'm in an odd position, though, as I will be trying to get my iPhone 3G S to work properly, I don't really care about my first gen anymore. Of course, I have to get my 3G S activated before I can have a proper data plan...gah!

What an ordeal...

Any other ideas?