Very strange issues with wall charger

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wbo717, Aug 23, 2015.

1. wbo717 macrumors newbie

Aug 23, 2015

I have an original wall charger and USB cable from Apple. A few days ago my iPhone 4S stopped charging with this wall charger and cable. If I use the same cable on the computer, it charges. My girlfriends iPhone is charging properly using this cable and wall charger. So the wall charger and cable is definitely ok. I also tried several other cables and wall chargers -> not charging with my iPhone. I checked with an amp-meter, the iPhone only gets 90mA.

Now the strange part:

If I replace the usb cable with a "dumb" cable which only has power lines (without data lines in it), the iPhone charges using my wall charger with 1A.

So the iPhone seems to have a problem with the USB data lines when connected to a wall charger. If the data lines are floating (not connected/shortened/no voltage divider), then it's charging.

Has anyone every had a similar issue? And do you know how to fix it?

PS: I already replaced the dock connector module and did several restores (incl. DFU). Latest 8.4.1 installed.

2. ipadpro macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2015
    maybe your phone charger internal dead
    need to be repair or replace ,

not charger cable or wall adapter fault
  3. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2008
    It sounds like you've done extensive testing on the device. Given the fact it's a 4S and the fact you've replaced the dock connector and did several restores, I would probably suggest trying a new battery. But since you've found a way to charge it, is there a reason to spend more money on a device that is 4-5 years old?