Very strange Macbook 2010 memory issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tbugrara, May 15, 2013.

1. tbugrara macrumors newbie

I'm installing a 2x2GB 1066MHz kit into a mid 2010 macbook.

When using both chips, I start up the computer a few times and I randomly get either the 1 beep or 3 beep error. I tried switching their positions as well.

I then tried using just one of the new chips and had the same problem for each chip in each slot.

Then I tried using one old chip (1GB) with a new one and it booted fine. I double checked in About this Mac and confirmed it was detecting 3GB. On top of that, the computer was way faster so I'm positive the new chip was being detected and used properly. Again I tried all possible configurations and it worked fine.

Also tried resetting the PRAM/NVRAM with no luck (some people suggested it from things I've read).

I've also seen that the symptoms I'm getting are caused by my new ram being too fast for the computer and only works when an older chip is used to slow it down. What's confusing is that both kits are the same speed and have the same timings (7).

Any ideas?

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

First of all, why go with 4GB when it actually maxes out at 16GB in 10.7 or above? Might as well put in 8GB at least.

Second, are you sure it is a mid-2010 MB? Can you take a look to see which model it is?

Third, can you link to the RAM you put in?

3. 7itanium macrumors member

why put in 8gb if the OP only needs 4?

not everyone is a movie director

also @the OP.... the theory about memory speed is null because 1066 was the speed supported by apple in that model

this is indeed an odd issue though

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Because the difference in prices is $35 vs. $60. Might as well go for the higher amount. It was too long ago when 2GB was considered plenty. 2010 machines will probably be compatible with future OS updates and software is becoming more needy for RAM. Older RAM prices only go down so low before they start increasing due to low supply on the manufacturing end. If the OP ever does need more the price may increase.

5. 7itanium macrumors member

Touche

6. tbugrara thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple site said this model has a max of 4GB. Is that not true?!

Also yes I confirmed the model is a mid-2010 from the Apple serial number lookup thing.

Here's the RAM I bought:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146878

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Apple doesn't update their specs when an OS update allows more RAM or when chips are cheap enough to be purchased in higher capacity sticks.

I'd RMA the RAM as it doesn't work. Make sure you email or chat with someone at Newegg so that they send you a return label to ship it back to them otherwise you will have to pay for return shipping. I've had some issues with Mushkin over the years.

I've had good success with G.Skill. Try this 2X4GB set.