Very Strange Macbook Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by icebrownie, Oct 15, 2012.

1. icebrownie, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

icebrownie macrumors newbie

I posted a few months back about how my brightness controls had randomly disappeared. And yes, I did everything possible to make them come back (resets/reassigning to other keys/etc.) and nothing worked. Eventually my macbook started taking forever to restart like 5+ minutes. So, I decided to run disk utility repair to see if there were any issues. There came up a few errors, which I looked up and the majority of forums mentioned the only way to fix the errors were to completely wipe and re-install.

I chose the Zero-Data option and reinstalled. My brightness controls button came back and my computer was restarting faster than ever. I ran disk utility again and there were no errors. I then saw that there was a software update from my 10.5.5 to 10.5.8. I completely the software update and was forced to restart. My laptop would not restart. It got stuck on the Apple logo repeatedly for 30+ minutes. I kept trying and I couldn't get past it, so I did another wipe and re-install and chose not to update. The computer was back to working beautifully again, but I ran the hardware test just to make sure everything else was okay. It came back perfectly. It's been a week since then and it's still been working great until tonight.

Towards the end of working on a photoshop project tonight my computer started freezing with every small mouse movement. During the freezing, it made clicking noises. I exited out of photoshop and it was doing it with every single program. I couldn't even close my Mac Mail. 20 minutes later I can't access any other programs besides Firefox without my computer freezing with every movement and load. Firefox working is the only reason I can even type this. Firexfox is still amazingly fast, but everything else is messed up.

Sorry really long rant, but there were a lot of details to explain.

Any suggestions? Also, I've barely loaded anything back onto here yet since the wipe. I've used 17.5 GB and have 215.07GB available.

2. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Sounds like your drive is failing. If you already have a backup of everything, I'd suggest that you get a new drive and install it. I'd also recommend getting a SSD drive. (Samsung 830's are nice. I bought two.).

3. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Agreed. That clicking noise is your hard drive screaming for mercy. Make sure you have everything backed up and buy a new drive. An SSD if you can. The Samsungs mwhites recommended are good, and relatively cheap.

When a drive is making clicking noises it normally dies completely within a week.

4. icebrownie, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

icebrownie thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have any recommendations on where to buy one? Newegg? I don't think I can afford the SSD right now, so probably won't get that. Is it possible to not spend that much money and still get a good hard drive? I have the aluminum 2008 macbook by the way. Is it better to buy online or in person?

Is this one okay: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...es+-+Notebooks+/+Laptops-_-Seagate-_-22148714

5. laudern macrumors 6502a

Just buy any western digital or seagate HDD that you can afford. They are usually the better quality HDDs