Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
My Mom just bought a new powerbook after thinking of switching for some time...it's been updated to 10.4.2 (15" 1.5 with superdrive) and today it started acting very strangely.

When she opened the lid from sleep, the machine started to make crazy noises from the speakers, almost like an ambulance. The screen was VERY dim...almost black and it was pretty much an unbearable noise...I had to shut down the computer by holding down the power button.

Then when I booted back up, the screen looked fine, but things were acting really weird...slow, and items in the dock were corrupted...i'd empty the trash for example and the "Trash" text would stay selected...

So i downloaded Onyx and ran it and supposedly everything is back to normal. But this has me VERY worried...is this a hardware issue or just a Tiger bug? After so much effort to persuade her to get a mac, I would be thoroughly embarassed if this was a lemon.

BTW, no added RAM (still at 512).

thoughts?

thx.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Never heard of anything like that before. Please keep us posted as to how things pan out. Hopefully it was a one-off. :)

Did she have any apps open before she slept it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.