Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonpollak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
on tour or at the pub
Hello all..Newbie on here but owned Mac's since '84..that's right, the good old classic.
So..First I will tell you my specs then the basics of my problem.
MacBook Pro 13"2.4GHz Core 2 Duo.. 4GB 1067MHz DDR3 it's running Snow Leopard 10.6.6.

The problem is when loading websites wirelessly on my home BT HOME HUB 2 wireless router...
Really random page loading problems where I get "server not found" on Firefox or "Safari can’t find the server"...on Safari
Some sites load fine all the time, usually the ones i DON'T need like Facebook or YouTube. Others do not load or will load occasionally. Other wireless networks away from home work fine.

At first I though it was the Firefox Browser. The problem started a few months ago after updating to Firefox 3.6.12 so I replied to a thread on the help forum following all the suggestions like cache/cookies/ disabling DNS prefelching and IPv6 but nothing seems to work.
I had also updated Flash to 10.1 and asked on their help forum (no answer at all from anyone there, big surprise huh?) so I plugged into my router via ethernet and it worked great on all browsers on all sites. Tried hard reset on the router…no improvement.
Tried switching to 80211 b/g and switching off /n/...nope nuthin.
My Slingbox works fine as its hardwired into the router as well.

I have an older MBP running 10.4 Tiger which works fine on the wireless.

OK..what other info might I provide you to get down to the nitty gritty and get this fixed?

Thanks for any consideration in helping me…
Jp

Last edited:

Damo01

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
Australia
I'm no expert but some problems might be hard to explain depending on what problem is that is having a strange experiences, such as are you getting random messages in browsers like "Destination Unreachable" or whatever on some sites that can actually be loaded??? This may be network issue , rather than the issue with the OS or the browsers . it could be something do with ICMP Destination Unreachable, Error code 3.

Last edited:

Jonpollak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
on tour or at the pub
OK gang.. sorry to inconvenience you with the vagaries of my lame title.
I thought my first post on here might get flamed...
No worries I will try to be more specific in the future.
Is it possible to have the mods rename the title "Server not found on wireless"?...or perhaps you can tell me the best title to get some advice from the people on here who can help me address the issue?

At least Damo had a go in bolstering my thought that it is indeed a network issue....and yes Gregg2 I had reset Safari a few times.

I have not received any "ICMP Destination Unreachable, Error code 3" messages but I appreciate the thought.

I can tell you this though..sometimes when I hit the reload button like ten times or so a page will load. It may look like old HTML down the left hand side of the browser but more reloading does get it to add some more of the page.
So..Anyone ?

I'm no expert but some problems might be hard to explain depending on what problem is that is having a strange experiences, such as are you getting random messages in browsers like "Destination Unreachable" or whatever on some sites that can actually be loaded??? This may be network issue , rather than the issue with the OS or the browsers . it could be something do with ICMP Destination Unreachable, Error code 3.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"So..Anyone ?"

What kind of internet service into the house are you using?
DSL?
Cable Modem?
What?

What happens if you take the router OUT of the loop?
Yes, that means disconnect your router and plug the computer directly into the DSL modem (if that's what you're using), or cable modem (if that's what you're using). It also means re-configuring your setup into a "one-computer" setup, at least temporarily. You'll need to connect via an Ethernet cable for the time being. Take "wireless" out of the equation, as well, as it can be an entire source of problems in itself.

Do things work better/worse/the same after the router is removed?

If you are using a "combo" DSL modem and one-port router (seems to be common nowadays), I recommend that you "go into" the dsl modem (either an application to do this or you access it through a browser page), and DISABLE the "router functions" if they are turned on. You want to configure it as a "dumb modem" (that doesn't do PPPoE if that's the authentication scheme your ISP uses) and no router functions enabled.

Other thoughts:

Have you tried using "OpenDNS" instead of your ISP-provided DNS servers?

Jonpollak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
on tour or at the pub
Dear Fishrrman:
Thanks VERY much for your reply
I am on a British Telecom BT Home Hub 2
(there is a link to it in the OP)...It's an all in one deal.
As admin I have been all over it with a fine tooth comb,changed nothing but learned what is there so I may have another look tonight.

Dear Gregg:
OP also lays out pretty much everything I have tried.

Today I tried "forget network" in the Airport Prefs.
It worked initially but then soon,about an hour of being on-line, it reverted back to pages not loading etc.

Fisherrman may have a good point with the DNS issue....
It's getting as far as the various websites but the pages are not coming up.

Once again, thank you very much for any and all input.

Jp

Jonpollak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
on tour or at the pub
Don't really see the need for that Gregg2 as I have pretty much determined it is an issue with my computer connecting to the home wireless network.
I leave to go on tour in 10 days or so and think I can get it figured out.
(with the help of the good patrons here of course)

Anyone have experience of having their wireless stop working on a network it had previously worked fine on?

GGJstudios: thanks for the clue..I am off to change the thread title..
(let's hope it does not go tumbling down the order due to the name change:eek:)
So..It's now called..."Server not found on wireless"

My neighbor, who speaks virtually no English, has the same problem with his new MBP. He was on his network for about a week now he gets the same "loading" issues as I do. I am calling British Telecom,which means India, and asking if the area is having difficulties with its "broadband".

Funny really as all the other WiFi items in my house, about 10 of them, work fine

Jp

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonpollak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
on tour or at the pub
update

Seems to be getting worse.
I called India and BT customer service wanted to sell me some insurance plan.
No help there...

I have noticed that the pages that do not load always say "Looking up".....
then after about 15 secs...Server Not Found.

Sometimes it's really bad others not so bad.

There must be something inside my Laptop that is prohibiting these connections.

As I said earlier I can go to all the useless sites like Facebok,twitter,Youtube.
But never anything I want?!?!??!

Help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.