very strange safari problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bfg110, Jul 4, 2009.

1. bfg110 macrumors member

Hello all, HAppy bday America.

I recently updated safari and now when i click in the address bar I can't highlight the address with a clock or double click... I actually have to highlight the entire address and this is very annoying. Does anyone know how to fix this? Please help

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

For me,
    • Single-click places cursor where I click, with nothing highlighted
    • Double-click highlights the word
    • Triple-click highlights everything in the address bar
    In Firefox the single-click highlights everything. I'm guessing this is the behavior you're after. I don't know of a way to change that. Though, from the keyboard, if you do a cmd+L it'll highlight everything.

3. glenncal macrumors member

Clicking on the icon to the left of the URL will select the whole address. It might seem a bit cumbersome at first but I guess Apple's reasoning was that this would make the address bar more consistent with other text boxes.

4. cromwell64 macrumors regular

what might be easier is to hit Command-L. this will highlight the entire address at once and you can start typing right away. As far as I know, this shortcut behaves the same way in Firefox and most other browsers. I had the same annoyance with Safari's behavior when clicking in the address bar until I started using this shortcut.