Very strange... Why don't referenced files delete from aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jnadz, Apr 15, 2012.

1. jnadz macrumors newbie

I'm relatively new to Mac and recently purchased aperture. I set up my aperture library by referencing my iPhoto library since I have over 18,000 photos and didn't want aperture to make 18,000 copies.

I must be misunderstanding what "referencing" files means because I recently went through a couple events in iPhoto and deleted a number of photos. I then emptied the iPhoto trash, however when I open aperture, those photos are still in the aperture library. How is this possible if the referenced file was permanently deleted?

Also, I know I should probably move completely to aperture for my organization and ditch iPhoto but I haven't completely figured out how I want to organize everything, so for now I'm leaving everything in the iPhoto library and referencing the library in aperture.... Or so I thought.

So if anybody can point out where my logic is flawed, I would appreciate it. It's driving me crazy that its not logical to me.

2. jnadz thread starter macrumors newbie

3. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

When using referenced files in Aperture, you must delete unwanted photos from within Aperture. Simply deleting them from iPhoto or from disk won't remove them from Aperture. Even though the photos are not physically stored in the Aperture Library file, they are still being "managed" (for lack of a better word) by Aperture, and any deletes need to be done from within Aperture if you want it completely removed from Aperture.

That's because Aperture allows for "Offline Photos" - you can still view and organize those photos even if the master files cannot be found. For example, if you stored your masters on an external hard drive that happened to be unplugged, you wouldn't want those photos to be completely removed from Aperture!

I don't know how referencing through iPhoto works, but when using referenced photos from disk, if you delete it from within Aperture, it'll ask you if you'd also like to delete the photo from disk as well. This may work with iPhoto too, so I would try deleting from within Aperture first.

Hope it helps/makes sense...good luck!

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

First,

If you are going to be using referenced masters, you should not be mucking around with those photos with another program. You probably should not be mucking around with them manually either.

What you are seeing is your preview files. They are created when you import your photos into A3.

Personally... I think you should dump using iPhoto if you are going to use A3. I personally let A3 manage my masters, but that is because they easily fit on my iMacs 2TB drive. I *MIGHT* move to referenced masters after I get my new iMac with a SSD/HDD combo. The reason would be to keep the library database on my SSD, and the actual master files on a HDD. I haven't really decided to do this however. I might just move the whole library external onto my Pegasus Thunderbolt drive.

/Jim

5. myglasseye macrumors newbie

Anyone want to help with a similar problem?

(sorry, totally new to the forum and can't figure out how to start a new thread)

The problem:

Most of my masters have been relocated over time to an external drive and now I want to delete certain files. I've mistakenly been thinking that I'm deleting my masters and versions, (because it keeps telling me that it's doing that) but yet, none of my referenced masters on the external drive have been deleted.

I've command deleted, and even emptied the aperture trash. When I do this, I get an error that says "master files offline" and tells me I can bring them online and try again or continue and delete versions without moving their offline master files to the system trash"

Keep in mind, the external drive is connected. So, can't aperture delete a master off an external drive? Please don't tell me that I have to first relocated the masters back onto my laptop in order to delete them. I'm having a memory crunch both on my laptop and external drive.

I'd love some help. Thanks!

6. hurrikenux macrumors member

Just to add, this does not appear to work in iPhoto. I have recently moved my library out of iPhoto and into my Dropbox and now reference the files instead of having the consolidated library. When trashing the photo in iPhoto, it remains on disk and there is no prompt to remove the photo from disk.

Good to know this happens in Aperture though, since this is the way I wish to manage photos now maybe it is time to part with $80 for the better program.