Very strange WIFI issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by entropyfl, Apr 19, 2015.

1. entropyfl macrumors regular

Hello,

About 3 weeks ago my WIFI started giving me headaches. it would either disconnect with no internet at all or it would let me connect but it would give less than .5 meg Download so basically unusable. When looking into network preferences it would say I have a static Ip address and sometimes would say my time capsule could not be found.

The whole time this was happening my ethernet connection would be working fine and getting the normal Dl speed of 45 meg +.

Im using Time capsule and Airport express, I then switched over to the wireless router provided by BT Broadband and had the same issues.

I've just been playing about with it again and whilst it was struggling to connect I plugged in the ethernet cable and then removed it and now my wireless is working again?

All very strange.. any idea's? why am I getting a static Ip address and why is it working fine on ethernet but not wireless.. the fact that I'm getting 45 meg + on wireless rules out interference right?

2. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Are you getting a 169.254.x.x static address?

3. entropyfl thread starter macrumors regular

when its not working it gives me a 192. static address.. i'll make a note of it next time it happens.

At the moment its giving laptop a 10.0. Ip address and its not connecting to the internet at all.

Keeps giving device not found message in airport utility saying airport express was previously part of your network check its still in range. This message changes between express and time capsule and keeps coming and going.

I was also getting same errors when using the my providers router, they sent me a replacement router as well and still getting the same issues.