Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

segers909

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
Hi all
My dad has a "top loading" bag which he got from his work (brandless), and which contains 2 4cm thick rubber blocks at the bottom inside the bag, to protect his laptop. I was looking for a backpack with a simular drop-protection. The closest I could find where backpacks like the Swisgear Lancer which has a "case base stabalizing platform" and ogio backpacks but neighter really protect the laptop as much as I'd like. I also found Umates which levitates the laptop inside the bag (seems like a good solution, no?), but they don't seem big enough to carry my school books too.

So, anybody got another suggestion?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I'd suggest the Crumpler Beerback. Its huge and has plenty of protection for Macbook /Pros of all sizes.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
You really don't "need" those fancy shmancy "laptop-levitating" backpacks.

Here's what I got for school:

InCase Nylon Backpack

ebony03.jpg

It works fine, looks good, has plenty of room for books, fits up to 17" MBP and won't steal money from you by claiming to levitate your laptop in another dimension. Just don't use it as a daily punching bag and you'll be fine.

segers909

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask for such a sturdy or levitating backpack is because my current Macbook Pro really suffered in the (regular) backpack I currently have. I go to school by bike and a couple of months ago I slipped whilst taking a turn too fast, which severely damaged my MBP. I was lucky the screen didn't crack. Then a month later, my backpack (with my MBP in it) fell of my desk in school, which made the dent worse. I want a backpack that can sort-of protect against these things. I don't mind a few scratches or a small dent, but I don't want it to end up looking like this again:

93v6

EDIT: the website of the packpack you suggested states "enhanced access and impact protection". Could you please tell me what sort of impact protection the bag has? Does the laptop section touch the bottom of the backpack?

You really don't "need" those fancy shmancy "laptop-levitating" backpacks.

Here's what I got for school:

It works fine, looks good, has plenty of room for books, fits up to 17" MBP and won't steal money from you by claiming to levitate your laptop in another dimension. Just don't use it as a daily punching bag and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

segers909

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
I think I'll go with this backpack which offers "4-directional shock absorption system which protects the laptop from all shocks" together with this case with a "Compressed Air Protection System which reduces impact and shock on all major drops.". That's a total of 67.33 euro shipped to Belgium. Let's hope they do their job :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.