Very Unresponsive SR MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roker, Dec 26, 2007.

1. roker macrumors regular

roker

Can anyone offer any advice short of doing a complete re-install of OS X (if I do this I will probably be going back to 10.4 until more updates for 10.5 are released). I have here a very unresponsive stock 2.2 SR MBP running 10.5.1. To be precise, if I open more than one or two apps things start to get sticky, currently I have open only Safari & Disk Utility but I can't have both doing something at the same time as I just get the beach ball for bloody ages. :(

All my apps keep "Not responding" & it's so bad that after force quitting them even the "Problem report" app freezes.

After a verify disk permissions I get no less than 9 "Warning: SUID File "....... ..... ....." has been modified & will not be repaired". This takes roughly 15 mins.

If anyone has any advice on how to fix this up I would be most grateful, otherwise I'll head on back to 10.4 & enjoy its' simplicity.

Cheers

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

You really have nothing else running in the background that may be locking the system up? I know Quicksilver made my computer act up for a while, so you might want to look into other applications you have running in the background. Otherwise, I don't think Leopard should be causing this.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Can you install Tiger on a Santa Rosa laptop? I'd heard otherwise.

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I can't imagine why not...

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The x3100 card doesn't have driver support in 10.4. See this post in SA. It's also in the description article on Macbooks at Lowendmacs.

It's one of the reasons I count my lucky stars for getting a pre-SR Macbook. I'm typing this from Tiger now, and have the choice of whether or not to upgrade to a beta operating system. People who shipped with Leopard weren't given that option--the same way most people who buy new PC laptops are left without support for any OS besides Vista. In both cases, it's a forced "upgrade" due to planned obsolescence.

So yeah, to the OP, if you're running an SR Macbook you aren't going to have the option of downgrading to Tiger.

6. roker thread starter macrumors regular

roker

LOL, thanks very much for the quick replies, but...

It came with tiger installed on it when I bought it in July & it ran tiger beautifully for about 4-5 months:D.

Activity monitor says I have 1.8GB RAM free & 96% Idle for CPU, so no fix there either :(

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Ah, my mistake. I thought you were on a Macbook. If you're on a Pro, you don't have the x3100, so the "no Tiger for you!" doesn't apply. In your case, I'd just downgrade, and wait for Apple to fix its patchwork OS. They should have most of the bugs ironed out by 10.5.5, but what's the point of suffering through each version until they get things right?

8. roker thread starter macrumors regular

roker

Thanks, I'll do that then, I just wanted reassurance that this wasn't an overly extreme step, & after all, the only new feature of Leopard that I might use would be Time Machine, but I don't need it & I haven't even used it at all since upgrading.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't think it's an extreme step at all. If you're having trouble, you don't need to make excuses for Apple. I can sympathize with you. I too have a pre-Leopard SR mbp, and I never had a single problem while running Tiger. I decide to be foolish and install Leopard, and I'm peppered with lots of small problems (though none as grave as yours :eek: :().

Since I haven't been overly set back by Leopard, I've decided to tough it out, but I think in your case, a "downgrade" to a more familiar (and reliable) system is more than appropriate. :)