Very, very annoying problem with Siri

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Boilermaker_coday, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Boilermaker_coday macrumors member

Ok so I don't use siri for that much, really. Mainly to text or call people while I'm driving or playing xbox. Here is my little problem that I have with her....

I cannot, for the life of me, get her to call or text my friend Kameron when I ask her to. I say, "Siri text Kameron" and she says "Sorry, I cannot find any contacts named Cameron" So yeah she thinks that Kameron can only be spelled with at "c" apparently. When I do the same thing and include his last name, I still have the same problem. Is Siri really this stupid that she can't figure this out? I don't really want to start spelling all my friends' names the wrong way in my contacts list.

2. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

The quickest fix I could think of is just changing his name in contacts to "Cameron"

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

Edit the contact and add the phonetic spelling 'Cameron'. Might work.

Or get your friend to spell his name like everyone else.

4. Boilermaker_coday thread starter macrumors member

Like I said I'm not really wanting to have to change my friends' spelling of their names in my phone book. I hate the idea of having to use stupid little workaround like this.

5. raggdoll macrumors regular

One name, one change. I mean really, come on :rolleyes:

6. Boilermaker_coday thread starter macrumors member

Well I haven't had my phone for very long, and I don't know yet if it will happen with other names... Katie or Catie? Names that end with "ie" vs. "y." Other people have trouble with my name because it's spelled with an "ay" but the "a" isn't pronounced, yet Siri has a hard time making that distincition. I'm not saying it's the biggest deal in the world, but if you read some of the other minute stuff that people complain about on this board then I don't think that I'm being ridiculous about this...

7. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Try spelling your name like everyone else. :rolleyes:

8. iAll macrumors member

Ditto man!

I could only wish this was all I needed to do to be considered more flexible. :D

My iP5 was shipped todayyyy!!!!

9. Boilermaker_coday thread starter macrumors member

Ya because there is no reason I would want to keep the name my parents gave me.

10. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I'm sure you can add a "Phonetic" field into your contact info for that person? Add Cameron into that field and it might work? Worth a shot

11. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

My wife and our last name are spelled differently then it sounds too, so I added the phonetic spelling under the name, and Siri works now.

Her name is Arline, and under is I have "are-LEEN".

----------

You can add it using the Contacts app on the Mac.

Attached Files:

12. Boilermaker_coday thread starter macrumors member

13. NedFlanders macrumors member

NedFlanders

Siri will also look under the nickname header so you can either enter Cameron in under nickname in contacts, or use a different nickname. I just tested this by adding the nickname "Bozo" for my my dad and asked Siri to call Bozo. Siri found my dad using the nickname.

You can add a nick name by opening the contact page for the person hitting edit and scrolling down to add a field.

14. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

You can also edit what you speak on to Siri by clicking on the text that you recently spoke to Siri. Maybe if it sees you're correcting it, it'll learn that you want Kameron with a K the next time you dictate it.

15. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

It doesn't affect me but you deserve kudos for actually helping rather than stupidly saying "Spell your name like everyone else".

16. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Yeah

The biggest problem is when you have someone you need to call whose name is Ioxial D. Dinwiddie. It's impossible!

17. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

I think 9 out of 10 human people would get that one wrong, much less Siri. :rolleyes:

18. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

Great Idea...

Thanks!

19. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Siri always wants to call Dianna when I tell her to call Dad, guess I need to put in his real name?

20. bgro macrumors 6502a

Have the same problem. Have someone named Aimee in my contacts and Siri says "can't find AMY". Very annoying.

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Remember those phones we had...maybe 10 years ago, where it would record you saying the name of your contacts and then, from that point forward you could push a button, say "call ___," and it would?

It's the stupid, basic features like that that are missing and generally annoy me the most. We should be able to tell Siri how to pronounce things when it doesn't understand us or can't find what we're looking for.

Heck, there's no reason that pretty much ANY feature available on a phone from over 5 years ago is not on the iPhone...with blocking numbers at the top of that list for me.

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Stop using siri. And just text and call your mate the old fashioned way.

23. dhlizard, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why is it when using Siri, most people begin their request with "Siri" ?
    (You see that here again in this thread)

When addressing anyone else during a one on one conversation, we do not begin every sentence with their first name.
    Just wondering every time I hear someone use Siri.

24. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Add a field in the contacts. There are even options for phonetic first and last nicknames. Not sure why this is being discussed as a problem Siri rather than a discussion about how to efficiently use Contacts.

25. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Best way to solve these problems and anything related is to stop using Siri :) doesnt do much and what it does is just make hard something simple.