Very very interesting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobenhaus, May 16, 2012.

1. wassabi987 macrumors newbie

Lets see how the numbers fare after the iPhone 5

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What percentage of iPhones are good quality phones? All of them. What percentage of Android phones are good quality phones? Nowhere close to all of them.

Android has a larger market share for the same reason Windows does. iOS has a higher satisfaction rate for the same reason OS X does.

What's your point, bob?

3. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

Maybe that more Androids were sold, so they must be better and their owners must be smarter for buying them?

There are few arguments that are more fallacious than this one. You can go back even further than Beta vs. VHS for examples.

Windows, Android, even VHS...the reason is because they just don't know any better. That's not an elitist POV, its an educated one. :)

4. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Walk into a local grocery store and I'm sure you will find at least five prepaid android phones under 100 probably priced around 60 bucks.

5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Quality Android phones? Probably not. Remember we still have 7 months of the year left for Apple to create smartphone havoc. ;):apple:

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I think looking at a year-over-year measurement would be much more accurate. How many Android phones have been released in the last 3 months? I'd be willing to bet there's been several. Meanwhile, there hasn't been a new iPhone since last year. If you measured shortly after the iPhone introduction, the numbers would be skewed in Apple's favor. You need to look at a longer time period to really see how the numbers stack up.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The numbers really don't mean anything.

The carriers are whoring out Android phones and really only Samsung is making money selling hardware.

Android is a dead end. It generates great statistics until you look at the PL report.

8. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I'm not sure why you're posting an article from September. Here's an interesting article from this month (fancy that!):

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/02/winning-in-neither-name-nor-spirit/

Here's the interesting part:

9. bobenhaus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Iphone 5 will sell good but nothing like the android OS. The reason why is iphone is a ninche device and android is a multi tier OS. You can get low to high level devices. Basically how the windows OS is marketed. Choice and price points is a true wining combination. I use a iphone at work and it is nice but not my choicd for a smart phone. I also own a mac laptop. So i knos both OS'es. Thanks.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

once again, you can not compare an iPhone to Android when it comes to market share or sales, etc.

iPhone- hardware AND software designed by one company as a complete package.

Android- just software that literally anyone can slap on whatever hardware they found on the cheap.

There are a few AMAZING android phones out there. There are a few hundred that are pure crap.

What has been happening with smartphones over the past few years is exactly the same thing as what was happening with PC's in the early 90's.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It's a non issue. There's plenty of business for everyone. Statistics are easily manipulated & at the end of the day it's rather meaningless. Unless of course you value money & stuff, more than life itself. There's a lot of that evident here.

12. jeffe macrumors 6502a

We are at the point where comparing just android to the iphone is no longer productive...HTC phones offer totally different features and experiences than motorola, samsung, etc...

There are also 100's of prepaid phones that offer another experience.

13. matttye macrumors 601

The iPhone market share will rocket up around Christmas time (assuming the phone is released in October again), then it'll drop again and android will shoot off into the lead by February/March time and hang onto a sizeable lead for the rest of the year...just like this year.

----------

Everybody used to say that about the iPhone when it was the market leader. You can say that about anything :p

14. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

That is unless apple rooks the competition and release a phone that was like going from the 3gs to the 4,That is radically different and AMAZING new features.

15. matttye macrumors 601

Who cares about the us when Android is the world leader?

----------

I hope they do (either in this one or the next) - my contract is up in September 2013 and I fancy a change from Android unless Google does something radical with it before then.

16. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Not really it is only selling good because you can buy the cheap crappy android phones,If we compare the iPhone to the android popguns i.e Galaxy s3 galaxy nexus galaxy note the iPhone wins hands down.

----------

I hope apple goes NFC wouldn't you agree?

17. matttye macrumors 601

These surveys aren't comparing singular phones, they're comparing Android phones to the iPhones. I know that iPhones are the best selling smartphones.

It could in turn be argued that some of the best selling Android phones would sell better if there weren't so many Android phones to choose from. ;)

18. matttye macrumors 601

Yeah definitely but I can't see it happening for a while; they tend to play it safe rather than jump in head first, just look at the fact they still haven't given us an iPhone with LTE.

19. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Well since LTE arrived on the new iPad,LTE on the next iPhone is a given.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I don't own Apple,Samsung, Nokia, HTC, or Blackberry stock, so honestly I do not care about sales. As an iPhone consume, the only time I would become concerned would be if the App store began to dry up. I just can't see that happening anytime soon....

FWIW perhaps this belongs in the Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion forum.

21. wassabi987 macrumors newbie

22. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

So you posted this 8 month old article as what, troll bait? This article didn't even factor in the 4S and is akin to walking into Baskin Robbins and asking which sells more? Chocolate or the other 31 flavors?

23. Vizin, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It's gouging most of that marketshare from blackberry.