Very Weird Online Buying Experience... Help?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockthecasbah, May 8, 2007.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Okay so i'll just give some background. I don't know how this happened or what's going on so if anyone has had a similar experience buying online (or just wild guesses) let me know.

I got a rebate card from Cingular for buying a phone and i wanted to get the Strangers With Candy complete series DVD set. So i bought it on buy.com through Google Checkout. I'd never heard of it but it is basically you have a Google account through gmail and use them as a middleman with certain websites through ordering... you pay them and they pay the site, in this case buy.com... i got a discount for trying it so i figured what the heck).

At any rate, that was April 14th. The site said it would ship within like 24 hours and it had been 9 days (total maximum time it should have taken to get the box to me) so i emailed them. They told me that apparently the item is not available anymore from the vendor and my order would be canceled, yet i felt like if i hadn't emailed them they would not have known and i'd have been shafted because of this miscommunication. I expressed this back and in email to their customer service (as well as disgust with their disorganization and loss of customer confidence, figuring i might be able to get something out of it for their error) and got nothing but a generic response. I was refunded my money but had yet to spend it on the rebate card so it sat there.

Fast forward to today, where i receive 2 emails in my gmail inbox. The first was this message: (#1 uploaded image). It basically told me that the item had shipped, gave confirmation #, etc.

That kinda confused me because i had been sent an email confirming that my order was canceled by buy.com, and a refund included from the google checkout. Then the second email read like this: (#2 at bottom). As you can see, it included the breakdown of the pricing which shows a total of "$0.00" and the item has shipped.

Did i get the DVDs for free? Do you think this is an error on their part, miscommunication between Google Checkout and Buy.com? Or could this be purposefully done by Buy.com to satisfy my complaint?

EDIT: Just to let you know, those images were the best screens i could get, so a bit of the messages are cut off... they look exactly like the original messages i got when the purchase was still going on to confirm the order, etc. I censored the names of other people, myself, address, and order #s just in case...

Attached Files:

2. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Update: Just for the hell of it i checked the tracking and the DVDs were electronically accepted in Philadelphia, meaning it looks like they are actually shipping them to me.. I hope they don't wake up and realize they sent me these, free is nice :)

This is so weird.

3. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I think that morally the right thing to do is to confirm the circumstances. If they're free then you can sleep well knowing that you are doing no wrong and if they have made a genuine error then you should pay for them, you would have been happy to pay the money when you first placed the order.

Sorry, that's my opinion.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I had a somewhat similar experience (also with Buy.com). Bought three CDs in one order, one shipped and I was told the other two were backordered indefinitely. Day later got an e-mail the items were now shipping, got home, CDs were already there. Two days later, got another set of the two "backordered" CDs.

Contacted them:

I ended up selling them on Amazon, and essentially made up the cost of the first set.

:p

B

5. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Well the thing is i don't feel morally responsible because they were not helpful when i reported the issues with the original sale and neglected to handle my information nor their website carefully. They likely would not have found out there was an issue with my order at all because they were completely surprised that i even brought up an issue with their service.

Normally i'd agree, but i can still 'sleep easy' regardless... i guess i'm going to hell right :p

6. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

The package just came today, no note inside whatsoever. Looks like i just got lucky! :p

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have found that using google checkout for things complicated processes. I bought a lens from Ritz using them. The lens was back ordered apparently and no one knew. Turns out the lens wasn't back ordered and I got it after driving to LA to get it from another vendor. Part Ritz's fault part google because google is the one that said the item would not ship.