Very Weird Problem -- Ghost Phone? Virus? Bug? FBI???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MercerUBears, Jul 16, 2010.

1. MercerUBears macrumors newbie

I have a 32 gig 3GS running 4.0.

My phone is calling seemingly random numbers and also people within my contacts without any indication on my end.

About three days ago I started receiving a number of calls from unknown numbers asking why I kept calling them. I am in the middle of studying for the bar, so I got off the phone as quickly as possible and just assumed they were random crazies. These calls have kept coming for the last two days though and today I started asking them for more details. Apparently my phone is calling these people multiple times, although they do not show up in my call log.

I thought this was a little weird, but not that interesting.

Today I received calls from two of my contacts asking why I called. Again, I have not called them and there is nothing in my log.

Then, my phone called my fiancée while I was sitting next to my phone. While her phone was ringing, there was nothing on my screen and I was able to cycle through two apps without any delays or indications of making a call. (sadly, we didn't answer the phone, but I assume it would have just been dead silence). I have since checked the logs of my friends phones to confirm I did call.

My first assumption was that AT&T may have accidentally mixed my sim with someone else's or something similar. They checked out everything on my phone and it was all normal and my account was normal also. They went through my log on their side and some of the alleged calls I made showed up in the log, but most did not. They think it is an IPhone problem, and Apple seemed to also.

I called Apple and the tech I spoke with and her supervisors said it was an unusual problem and want me to blast my phone back to factory, which I assume will fix the phone. However, before I do, I would love to figure out what the actual cause of the problem is. I've never heard of calls being made in this manner without showing up in either my log or my carrier's log.

My hunch is that it is a weird virus or something similar, and if so, I think it would be helpful for everyone else to determine whether such a virus exists.

A couple of notes:

1. I do not have any bluetooth headsets or other devices. Bluetooth is actually turned off.
    2. My email account is through Gmail, and I have not recently downloaded any attachments.
    3. My photo, contact name, and everything else shows up on my friend's phones, not just the phone number (Apple thought that was important).
    4. The numbers I allegedly call are relatively local, 404 and 478 area codes.
    5. I updated to 4.0 on the day it was released.
    6. The only apps I have used lately that I don't think ere common on every phone are TextFree, LetsTans Dlx, Cloud Browse, and CraigsPro+.
    7. I last synced four days ago.
    8. As far as I know, the calls are only made during daylight hours.

2. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Mine did this once.

Neither apple nor AT&T could explain. Apple swapped out my device. That's all I can tell you because thats all they knew...

3. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

Corrupt software maybe, or just crazy*** inexplicable phenomenon??

4. saxman1089 macrumors newbie

I think you may be a victim of spoof calling. Check out www.spoofcard.com. It allows someone to block their own caller ID and use someone elses when calling someone. It could be a friend trying to distract you from studying, perhaps? I had a similar thing happen to me about a month ago; "I" apparently called my girlfriend and said some nasty things to her. My phone records show no outgoing call at that time, but her phone records show an incoming call from me.

I talked to AT&T about it, and nothing came of it. They said they "needed more information about the incident" or something.

It hasn't happened since. I think it's also worthy to note that I had a Samsung Blackjack II at the time (I have since upgraded to the iPhone 4, and I am loving it :D).