Very Weird Wired Internet Connection issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Richdmoore, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I am having a problem with my 2007 MacBook 2,1 and it really has me stumped.

I am having (at random) the computer's wired internet fail. I will be using it (or having it run unattended) and the computer will lose the connection to the internet (and other local network devices.) When I go into the network pane of the system control panel it says it has a self assigned ip. The only way to restore the wired internet is to restart the computer.

Logging out and using another user account has no effect. Unplugging and replugging the ethernet cable has no effect. Resetting the router has no effect either.

When the macbook ethernet fails, no other internet devices on the network are affected, my wired xbox & boxee box works like normal. My wireless iphone & ipad also work just fine.

The macbook will connect via wireless after the wired ethernet fails, and I can then surf using that connection. If I turn the airport on the macbook back off, it loses the connection again.

Steps I have taken:

Replaced Cat 6 ethernet cable
    Replaced router (Netgear to latest Airport Extreme)
    Reinstalled Snow Leopard (over existing installation)
    Reset PRAM
    Reset SMC
    Replaced Macbook battery

(All without success.)

At this point I can't think of anything else to try, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know......

2. Richdmoore thread starter macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Two week bump. I did take it into the apple store, they deleted some system pref files, but it didn't work..... Any other ideas?