VERY wierd external HDD sound

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mbpnewbie, Apr 3, 2009.

1. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

Ok, I went today to back up my mac using Time machine as usual. Anyway, I plug in my backup disk(I keep it off when not in use so as to prolong life.) Anyway, when I turned my disk on, I heard this:
    http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/JDPhotography_2007/?action=view&current=Movie5.flv (turn your sound up)
    The external in question is the porsche design Lacie 250gb model (closest to the monitor) which I bought about 2-3 years ago... Did this drive finally give up or is there something I can do to fix it?

2. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

please help... I really don't know whats wrong...

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

That sounds like my last hard drive that failed. Fortunately it took over a month for it to actually quit and I had two complete backups by then.

Back everything up and get a new drive.

4. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, I was really hoping to not have to do that but oh well. Anyone know any decent external HDDs? I want about 500gigs. and 7200

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's the only thing that can be done, assuming the OP can even get a backup out of it before it's completely toast.

6. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Try this from Western Digital.

I have a different WD external drive as my Time Machine disk, and it's been on all the time since mid-January with no difficulties. Whisper quiet. :cool:

7. mbpnewbie thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll just get another mybook 500gb drive... will match the other two seen in the video.