VESA Stand for 27inch iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rmchale, Feb 22, 2016.

1. rmchale macrumors regular

I am looking for a vesa stand for a 27 inch iMac. I will be mounting it on an arm, but will occassionally need to move it to a table without an arm. I was looking for something like this, but one that supports a 27" monitor. I have seen a few like this one from monoprice that do not appear to support the weight of the iMac.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found this one on Google, there may be more..
    http://imacmount.com/

Current iMacs do not have the ability to remove the stand in lieu of a Vesa mount, so you're limited to work arounds.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Now if this is completely true or not I have not tried this but I have read that you can install the Apple VESA mounts sold for the previous (2009-2011) iMac on the newer (2012-2015) models if you do a full teardown. The process isn't as simple as on previous models.
    Now again I've heard this on another forum and a youtube video but I've not looked any further into it personally or attempted this as I have ordered my new iMacs with a VESA mount so I always have that option for sure.

4. rmchale thread starter macrumors regular

I see I meant I was considering purchasing a vesa iMac 27 without a foot (stand). So I was looking for an aftermarket foot if I needed it.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I have both a stand and a mounting arm.
    Your options are pretty much anything mounts that will hold over 17 lbs for the 2012-2015 models, 2011 and older are 30 lbs.
    If you aren't worried about aesthetics then Monoprice has a good selection of inexpensive stands and wall/desk mounts/arms.
    If you want something prettier then I'd go with ErgoTron or ErgoTech, you can find an assortment on Amazon fairly easily.

I have several arms and mounts from Monoprice and they do their job well, they are just more of a plain look and black.
    I also have an ErgoTron MX Desk Mount that looks very nice and gives more flexibility because it is a spring loaded arm that allows easy movement up down, tilting, left, right and portrait to landscape. It was the one I purchased for my 2009 iMac and it's rated up to 30 lbs so it can definitely handle the weight of the newer 27" iMacs.

7. rmchale thread starter macrumors regular

I am just concerned about tilting. Do you have an recommendations for one's that don't tilt?
    [​IMG]