Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schappim

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Just a suggestion for the mods, it would be great if you vetted users for political discussions by account age rather than post count.
I sometimes see some discussion that I'd like to take part it, but the comments are closed for users w/out 100 posts.
My account is ~ 12 years old (hardly the "Macrumors newbie" my badge would suggest), and I haven't hit the 100 posts yet.

I'd like to think my contributions are based on quality, not quantity!

• Love
Reactions: sorgo † and Zmmyt

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
with age comes wisdom, so they say.

edit: while the mods make up their mind maybe squeeze in a few generic comments, like “beautiful design”, “i want usb c” or “wish johnny was still around”. done! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: sorgo †

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I sympathize with the OP a little bit I guess (quality vs quantity), but in the specific case of not having posted 100 times in a 12 year period, I'm not sure what to say.

That's really not a lot of participation (at all) and it stands to reason that maybe that person shouldn't be jumping into the political discussion fray if they are that inactive anyhow?

I think the general idea is to avoid burner accounts just for political discussion/trolling purposes.

Maybe they would allow an exemption if privately asked?
The general structure of the rule in place I think is sound though.

Reactions: CarlJ and sman789

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
TRUST ME...that area is a cesspool of truly horrifying things and you don't need/want to post there. You don't even want to GO there.

I think you are right..
I really only enjoy my time there due to a long history of building up an ignore list

Now that it's cleaned up a bit by that, I tend to have an enjoyable and informative time on most of the threads.
But again -- only because it's "filtered" shall we say.

Reactions: MysticCow

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
with age comes wisdom, so they say.

edit: while the mods make up their mind maybe squeeze in a few generic comments, like “beautiful design”, “i want usb c” or “wish johnny was still around”. done! ;)
This would be unwise. It's padding your post count, which is a rules violation.

I realize there's a winking smilie after it, but I just want to make sure there's no confusion on the acceptability of this strategy.

• Wow
Reactions: CarlJ and sorgo †

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
This would be unwise. It's padding your post count, which is a rules violation.

I realize there's a winking smilie after it, but I just want to make sure there's no confusion on the acceptability of this strategy.
it would mean someone is browsing threats. sometimes it’s useful to express any thoughts one might have. even if it’s something simple as expressing their liking or disliking of certain features or design choices. it could get the ball rolling for someone who possibly is shy to leave comments.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
it would mean someone is browsing threats. sometimes it’s useful to express any thoughts one might have. even if it’s something simple as expressing their liking or disliking of certain features or design choices. it could get the ball rolling for someone who possibly is shy to leave comments.
If on one hand, a MR member has something to say on the political forum, why can't the same member engage in on-topic chit-chat in other forums to build up a post count? The Community Discussion forum, for example, is a very friendly place with all sorts of varied topics (lifestyle, cooking, cars, etc) that could be of interest to a member.

schappim

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I sympathize with the OP a little bit I guess (quality vs quantity), but in the specific case of not having posted 100 times in a 12 year period, I'm not sure what to say.

That's really not a lot of participation (at all) and it stands to reason that maybe that person shouldn't be jumping into the political discussion fray if they are that inactive anyhow?
( Clears throat ) These are all good points. I need to take a long look at myself my lack of low effort posts.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
( Clears throat ) These are all good points. I need to take a long look at myself my lack of low effort posts.

Exceptions to every rule!
The mere fact that you created this thread, and posted so thoughtfully, highlights the challenges here.

Reactions: Zmmyt

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
If on one hand, a MR member has something to say on the political forum, why can't the same member engage in on-topic chit-chat in other forums to build up a post count? The Community Discussion forum, for example, is a very friendly place with all sorts of varied topics (lifestyle, cooking, cars, etc) that could be of interest to a member.
good point!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.