Vewing WMV format on Mac OS9 problem, pls help.

XLR8A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
6
0
SPB/TLV
Hello ladies and gentleman,

I use an oldskool G3 with OS9.2.2 and MediaPlayer7.1 -
(as far as i know MP7.1 is the latest version for OS9.2.2)
The problem is when i'm trying to open a document that was originally created in MP9 -
it doesn't open in MP7.1, and i can't even install MP9 because it doesn't support my OS.

The question is:
There is some way to open that document without installing OS-X or buying new computer?
Maybe some codec for quicktime or something, i searched the net but didn't find anything...

p.s. sorry for my english, it's not my native language, i hope most of you can understand.

Thnks in advance,

Peace.

:cool:
 

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
395
14
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know of anything for OS 9 that'll do what you want. There are options for OS X such as VLC for playing windows media but not for OS 9. My advice is to move to 10. I used to run it on a B&W G3 with no problems. OS 9 is a dead OS, there is no more development on it so you probabily will not find much to help you, and even less as time goes on.
 
Comment

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
29
USA
XLR8A said:
Hello ladies and gentleman,

I use an oldskool G3 with OS9.2.2 and MediaPlayer7.1 -
(as far as i know MP7.1 is the latest version for OS9.2.2)
The problem is when i'm trying to open a document that was originally created in MP9 -
it doesn't open in MP7.1, and i can't even install MP9 because it doesn't support my OS.

The question is:
There is some way to open that document without installing OS-X or buying new computer?
Maybe some codec for quicktime or something, i searched the net but didn't find anything...

p.s. sorry for my english, it's not my native language, i hope most of you can understand.

Thnks in advance,

Peace.

:cool:
Windows Media 9 files can be opened only in Windows Media Player 9 or Windows Media Player 10. Windows Media Player 9 is the most recent version available for MacOS X. Windows Media Player 7.1.3 is the most recent version of WMP for MacOS 9. Non-Microsoft software is available to play of some DRM-free WMV files in newer formats. However, that software requires MacOS X, Windows, or Linux. The bottomline is that you cannot play Windows Media 9 content on MacOS 9.
 
Comment

XLR8A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
6
0
SPB/TLV
Norouzi said:
I don't know of anything for OS 9 that'll do what you want. There are options for OS X such as VLC for playing windows media but not for OS 9. My advice is to move to 10. I used to run it on a B&W G3 with no problems. OS 9 is a dead OS, there is no more development on it so you probabily will not find much to help you, and even less as time goes on.
Actually i have same B&W G3, and i run a recording studio,
i spent dozens thousands of $ on expansive software for OS9,
and i have lots of even more expansive hardware that works with OS9 only.
So, buying a new computer that can boot from OS-X only it's not a solution
for me, but installing another OS can be a great idea. There is some boot manager
that can switch between 9 and X when the computer starts up ?
 
Comment

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,033
1
Portland, OR
XLR8A said:
There is some boot manager
that can switch between 9 and X when the computer starts up ?
If they (OS9/OSX installs) are on separate partition/hard drives, your finger on the Option key is the "boot manager".
 
Comment

XLR8A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
6
0
SPB/TLV
yellow said:
If they (OS9/OSX installs) are on separate partition/hard drives, your finger on the Option key is the "boot manager".
Thnks man, i'll put another hardisk innit and install the X on it.

:D
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.