VGA adapter + charge?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by andyhargreaves, Apr 7, 2010.

1. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

Hi

I promise I have tried to search, but cannot find this answered. Apologies if I have missed something...

Is there any way to charge the iPad while using the VGA adapter? I know the battery life is good, but I can foresee a situation where the battery could be drained fairly quickly whilst using Keynote or something similar.

Hopefully some lucky person who has got one will be able to help. Waiting for UK launch is murder......

2. doboy macrumors 68000

I think only way to charge while connected to the VGA dongle would be to purchase a dock for charging and the dock has a connector for the VGA dongle.

3. diabolic macrumors 68000

The regular iPad dock has one 30-pin connector and an audio line out. If you plug the dock into the wall via the 30-pin to USB cable, there is no place to plug in the VGA dongle.

4. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

This has been my concern for any of the non-docking 30-pin accessories.

It may not hinder some, but if you are doing a presentation for a client connected to a big screen or projector, you do not want it dying on you.

5. andyhargreaves thread starter macrumors regular

Does that actually work? I imagined the dock would use the 30-pin connector for charging, like the iPhone dock does, thus you would not be able to use the same for the VGA adapter....?

EDIT: 2 beat me to it!

Shame the charging cable doesn't have a pass-through facility....