VGA adapter hack?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by lokerd, May 9, 2010.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Hello. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago, before the JB, that it should be possible for the VGA adapter to be "fixed" to allow output of any screen to a large VGA monitor.

Is this something in development? Or something that is already out?

Thanks!!

2. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

4. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Which one is best to use...tv out or tvout 2. I don't understand the difference.

Anybody?

5. Dogpilot macrumors member

It is easier and cheaper to hack the 5G iPod dock. I did it like this:
    Hack the 5G Dock

6. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Hmm while the dock hack is definitely cool, I don't see how it's 'easier' than a software fix.

Many of us want to use it with a projector to show apps other than Keynote to a larger group. S-Video isn't bad, but my ceiling-mounted work projector doesn't have that cable running up top (pj at home does).

No chance of alternate resolutions? Still hoping to output 720p Keynote presentations.

7. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

ANSWER:
    Displayout which is sold in the Cydia appstore will give full mirroring. It works perfectly with the VGA cable (tested out today at work). I will soon test it with a A/V cable and let yall know.

8. tasset macrumors 6502a

I bought displayout and gave it a try with my Apple composite a/v cable. Performance wise it works just fine. Quality wise, eh so so. Not sure if I should have been expecting full res but it definitely is not. I had it hooked up to a 37" LCD tv.

9. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Is display out the same, better or worse as tvout or tvout2?

10. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

TV Out2 beta is free and working just fine for me. :)

For the OP, you sign on up their site (I used a dummy email address) and I was able to download the tvout2.deb file. From there you SSH it to your iphone, in the /tmp directory for example, then run this command: dpkg -i /tmp/tvout2.deb && killall SpringBoard

You'll then have an icon on your iPhone and able to display on a VGA connection. Worked great on my HDTV and on a projector in a computer lab at school.

11. foolio macrumors newbie

Why do all that? It is available on Cydia

12. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

It wasn't there a week ago. :)

13. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

There's a utility in the Cydia store called "Displayout." It's only 1.99$. I have tried it and it works PERFECTLY with the VGA adapter. It provides full mirroring and gives control over the frame rate. HOWEVER, I tried it today with a third-party A/V composite cable and it did not work. Don't have an official apple cable to try it out on their composite/component though.

A college of mine used this utility to do a presentation about the iPad (I work for a Apple Certified Reseller computer store).

14. tasset macrumors 6502a

How was the quality of the mirrored display with vga output and what size screen was it? I got the a/v composite cable to work but mediocre quality.